meshmouse

Re: Like a Hornworm, but what is it? >> Black Swallowtail

Susan W -

If running rogue, they still have a chance, but if the birds have learned there's no risk, not so good for the cats.

I was reading in the Wildlife section (as you suggested I do re: chrysalis) about how re-located and orphaned animals don't usually do well.

I was also reading about Viceroys mimicking Monarchs which are apparently poisonous to birds and how the birds have learned to avoid them.

I was wondering, if a bird was raised as an orphan, without parental guidance, would it not know to avoid Monarchs? If so, that would mean that that knowledge is passed on during raising and not genetically imprinted in the breed. It would also mean that one bird noticed what another ate before it died, and put 2 & 2 together, cause and effect logic. Or is something else at play?

Any insights? I'm just curious as to how it works that Monarchs are avoided by birds.

Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a very interesting question about how birds know to avoid Monarchs and Viceroys. Here's one answer:

Mimicry: A harmless animal evolves to look or behave like a dangerous animal. The viceroy
butterfly mimics the coloration of the poisonous monarch, which most birds are genetically
programmed
to avoid.

https://www.ocs.cnyric.org/files/filesys ... cology.pdf

an article on Behavioral Ecology in the journal Animal Sciences, December 1, 2009

I don't know that that is the last word, behavioral ecology is a rapidly evolving field.

meshmouse

rainbowgardener -

Very interesting article.

At the risk of going OT, I found this particular bullet to be very insightful -

Courtship: The special signals and complicated rituals that allow male-female bonds to occur for
mating purposes. These behaviors assure the intentions and, consequently, the safety of both
partners, who might attack or devour an approaching mate if the signals are unclear.

Back on topic, I wonder how learned behavior becomes instinctive. Natural selection somewhat explains it, but then - why do squirrels still cross the road after over a hundred years of getting squished by tires?

Thanks for the link.

applestar
Mod

I found a BST in a J (ready to metamorphose into a chrysalis) and
brought it inside. It eclosed today :D
image.jpg
chrysalis was green

meshmouse

Very beautiful applestar. Do you set it free right away?

I checked on my three and the first one into chrysalise is showing its tail turning darker brown and I think changing shape. On closer inspection it's definitly hollow, I think it eclosed since this morning and flew the coop. The other two are definitly full. Day thirteen, right on schedule.

I put a screen on top just in case I miss the process with the next two, I can at least see the butterfly before it goes off.

It seems a shame they didn't overwinter as their life will be relatively short. As I understand it, they live long for butterflies. Is that true, if so, how long?

Oh, and look what I just found in the parsley.

Thanks

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”