lily51
Greener Thumb

Not really gardening with wildlife...

Coming back from a walk today, I noticed a couple buzzards swooping around near my garden area. When I got there, saw it was a dead possum (not playing dead) on the yard near my garden.
This is a ways from the road, so it probably didn't get injured and then crawl there . Am thinking maybe neighbors dog across the road was out and about last nite and left us a surprise. He's over here scoping out our shed for cat food several times a week, so he's my first suspect.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Well you have the clean up patrol watching your area.

I wouldn't like a dog dropping by uninvited.

lily51
Greener Thumb

No, we don't like the dog visiting, have talked to neighbors, it still happens. Other than that they are okay

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I already wrote a post for this.... Poof! Gone! Idk...

Our neighbors are notoriously AWFUL pet owners. They let their pets roam freely at all times. Some of the dogs are real sweeties! The rest are pretty aggressive. When they first came around, they killed and mutilated the wild rabbits and would leave them to bleed out on our driveway. When they ran out of rabbits, the started killing the feral NEUTERED cat colony. There are 2 left.
They even dragged a badly decomposed deer skeleton into our yard from the woods...

They keep the deer and other wildlife away, but they use my yard, and sometimes my garden :( as their personal potty!

Once I was on my back porch, and I witnessed the neighbor WATCH HIS DOG WALK OVER TO MY YARD AND junk! I screamed my head off at the dog and then fussed at him (a renter). All I got was, " dogs is gonna be dogs."

Sigh...

lily51
Greener Thumb

Yes, they are a nuisance. A few days ago I was in the backyard gardens and the little one was barking at me, in my own yard. All I have to say is, you get home, and off he goes. I'd rather he didn't venture over at all.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”