shar

motion activated sprinkler

Has anyone ever used the motion activated sprinklers to keep the deer away? There is one called Scarecrow but I would like to know the success of this product before putting out the money. Anyone's experience with this product would be much appreciated. Thanks.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

I know it works on people! :lol: And some cats and dogs, so I guess it should work for deer, unless they move real slow, in which case it might not pick up the "motion". I can't say how durable they are, though; perhaps someone else might?

Happy gardening!

Wingdesigner

shar

Thanks Wingdesigner. Until I get some positive feedback I am going to try deodorant soap, garlic, bone meal, human hair, and egg parts. So far so good. The man at the garden center said the deer get used to the motion detector sprinklers. Maybe they just figure it has started to rain and they can munch away in the rain. :))

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

I think you're on the right path. I remember reading somewhere that it's good to mix up the deterrents, so the critters don't get used to one particular thing.

Happy Gardening,
WD

jsr54
Newly Registered

I bought one of the Scarecrows for my Dad to use to repel cats and birds, and he swears by it. As pointed out above, it does also work on humans, so turn off the water before you head into the protected area.

He's only had it a couple of months, so I can't really speak to the durability of the thing.

Here's a [url=https://howtogardenguide.com/2007/05/01/scarecrow-motion-activated-sprinkler-review/]review of the Scarecrow Sprinkler[/url] that might shed some light on the topic.

John

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”