skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Re: I never get tired of seeing wildlife

tomf wrote:Jeff where in Mass do you live, I was from Saugus. You must be a long way from the Boston area.
We are all the way west in the little notch between CT and MA. Boston is about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive depending on time of day and traffic. A little more rural which is what we were looking for and still close to the kids in CT. :)

Although the Boston area has been having reports of mountain lion sightings, we have only seen Bobcat.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

our yard has an enormous number of bird species to visit.

The following all nest on or near our country property and are regular visitors to it.

Blue birds, crested flycatchers, mocking birds, blue jays, morning doves, red headed wood peckers, summer tanager, thrasher, thrush, humming birds, chimney sweeps, wrens, sparrows, titmice, chickadees, nuthatch, towhee, indigo bunting, cardinal, slate junco, kingbird, vireo, goldfinch, robins, waxwing, various vireos, many of those hard to identify spring warblers, cow birds, various black birds and crows, waxwing, starlings, purple martins, strike, nighthawk, pileated woodpecker, red bellied wood pecker, various small wood peckers, eastern kingbird, red tail hawk, other non identified hawks

I'm not sure why we have such a wide variety of avian visitors each year, but our property is part of several thousand acres which has almost no development other than a few spotty houses, less than a dozen on our 3 mile stretch of country road. The tracts are mostly wooded, but have enough pasture and transition forest to attract many birds. On our property the habitat varies dramatically from tall canopy to transition, as well as open grassy areas. Much of the land is wooded, but also much is open from having the last of the pines cut before replanting this year. Also swampy areas surround the home site on three sides, at most a quarter mile away but well within our property lines. We are located almost in the middle of what has been the family farm for a few generations and are so fortunate to enjoy this quiet country life and all of the wildlife that it supports.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Our lot is larger than most subdivision lots. 1/3 + acre.

We used to be "in the country". The city has encroached and the wildlife and birds are fewer than they were.

There is no wildlife other than a few squirrels - even they are not as plentiful as they used to be. I still have doves, blue jays, mocking birds and cardinals nesting in the tree. The humming birds visit and feed from the feeders and flowers.

A BIG concern is the lack of honey bees. I have noticed a reduction in produce from the garden because the flowers are not being pollinated. Very few honey bees. Too many insecticides and not enough open space.

I have seen a sudden influx of wood bees trying to nest in the soffits and fascia boards. I am in the process of getting quotes for vinyl on the soffits and fascia. The house is brick so only the front entrance, soffits, fascia and a wall on the carport entrance need to be addressed. Hopefully that will eliminate the wood bee problem. I hate the thought of calling an exterminator.

My Sister lives "in the country". Her home is on 5 acres but she is 2 miles from civilization. Her yard is amazing! She has more wildlife than she wants as in armadillos that tear up her yard and coyotes that kill her cats.

Seems like there is always a give and take. Some good and some bad regardless of the situation. Personally I would love to move to "the country" and have some acreage. I want to raise chickens, a couple of sheep and a couple of goats, some guinea hens, and some ducks. Maybe even a cow.

I guess I need to win a major big Power Ball. The dream will not happen otherwise. Not with the price of property in my neck of the woods -no I am not going to move to some other region of the country, - too many family ties and deep roots.

OMG - I have gotten completely off track. Sorry for the ramble. I tend to do that.

Good luck with your endeavor.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:our yard has an enormous number of bird species to visit.

The following all nest on or near our country property and are regular visitors to it.

Blue birds, crested flycatchers, mocking birds, blue jays, morning doves, red headed wood peckers, summer tanager, thrasher, thrush, humming birds, chimney sweeps, wrens, sparrows, titmice, chickadees, nuthatch, towhee, indigo bunting, cardinal, slate junco, kingbird, vireo, goldfinch, robins, waxwing, various vireos, many of those hard to identify spring warblers, cow birds, various black birds and crows, waxwing, starlings, purple martins, strike, nighthawk, pileated woodpecker, red bellied wood pecker, various small wood peckers, eastern kingbird, red tail hawk, other non identified hawks

I'm not sure why we have such a wide variety of avian visitors each year, but our property is part of several thousand acres which has almost no development other than a few spotty houses, less than a dozen on our 3 mile stretch of country road. The tracts are mostly wooded, but have enough pasture and transition forest to attract many birds. On our property the habitat varies dramatically from tall canopy to transition, as well as open grassy areas. Much of the land is wooded, but also much is open from having the last of the pines cut before replanting this year. Also swampy areas surround the home site on three sides, at most a quarter mile away but well within our property lines. We are located almost in the middle of what has been the family farm for a few generations and are so fortunate to enjoy this quiet country life and all of the wildlife that it supports.
Nice

tomf
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Our lot is larger than most subdivision lots. 1/3 + acre.

We used to be "in the country". The city has encroached and the wildlife and birds are fewer than they were.

A BIG concern is the lack of honey bees. I have noticed a reduction in produce from the garden because the flowers are not being pollinated. Very few honey bees. Too many insecticides and not enough open space.

This is to bad, and the bees are a big scare for us all.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”