tomf
Super Green Thumb

I never get tired of seeing wildlife

I never get tired of seeing the wild life come through, I fed a few deer some old apples, they saw me toss them at them and knew what I was throwing. The deer walked over and ate them not caring that I was around. Now birds that go away in the winter are coming back, we have a Pileated Woodpecker that lives in our yard, elk will be headed up to higher country soon, I hope I get to see some elk this year. Once I was in my little car and one was on the road, I passed by him just a few feet away and we looked at each other with amusement.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Yeah they are beautiful until all your sweet corn is GONE!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That is what deer fence is for.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We have lots of birds in our yard that we enjoy watching from our sunroom each day. By the end of April we normally will start to get the ruby-throated hummingbirds as well which are always a joy to see and watch.

We haven't seen the black bears come through yet but its only a matter of time before one or two show up looking for food or a drink from the pond in the back. We get deer but they are a little more shy here so we mostly see the dropping they leave behind from their nightly or early morning visits.

The coyote have been through but they don't stick around for long and we sometimes see a bobcat or two during the year.

The other day we spent the time watching the chipmunks running along the stone walls. All the wildlife is one of the reasons we enjoy living where we do :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, we live on 1/3 acre, 4 miles from down town on a big busy street, but old suburbia, with lots of big old trees (our house was built in 1923). We don't lack for wildlife. No bear and no elk, but we have deer, lots of birds, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, woodchucks, opossums, the occasional coyote, once a fox went through our yard. There are lots of animals that are learning to co-exist with us if we give them a chance, with some trees and shrubbery, ponds, berry and nut producing stuff, etc.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Here at the Nevada ranch the some of the wild life and I are at odds [rabbits and squirrels] . But it is nice to see the wild horses,, outside the fence.

Richard

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I saw a Palliated woodpecker yesterday, it's head had a bright red top.
We have three deer that come around on most days, the smalest one thinks she is all that, and struts and stomps when she sees us.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! The pileated woodpecker is hard to spot, they are very shy. I frequently hear them, their ratatat-tat drumming and loud sharp call is pretty distinctive, but have NEVER managed to spot them. They stay hidden in trees and never come to the seed feeders as other woodpeckers do.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Tey are kind of shy, I will look at them in a tree and they will move to the back side of the tree, they know you are there.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I have an abundance of Downy woodpecker's and a pair of Norther Flickers pounding my suet feeder along with the Chickadee and Nuthatch. My thistle feeder will have 4 -6 Yellow finch at a time and an occasional House finch. When the Ruby's get here they will follow me around when they're out of food. I had one follow me into the screen porch. I am trying Red trumpet, Sweatpea and a Chinese Wisteria(could be a bad lesson) this year for the Ruby's. I leave big patches of wild weeds to grow out for fall seed. Drive the neighbor nuts but all plant look nice to me if kept in check. I also have a freezer full of venison and fish!

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Well, the wild turkeys arrived in the yard the other night :) We always enjoy watching them feeding under the bird feeders and most times will accommodate them with some cracked corn in a trough type feeder. :)

So far, just the hens are here without Tom. Sooner or later Tom will arrive with his harem as well. He's quite a sight! We normally get the group of hens (with Tom) and then this one lone turkey each year. The first year, only the lone turkey showed up and we named her Maggie. So when a lone turkey with a white head is in the yard, we say "there's Maggie!".

It is especially great to watch them come July when they arrive with their babies. :)

Here's hoping the coyotes stay away and don't scare them off to other parts!

applestar
Mod

I love reading the descriptions of wild creatures that are rarely seen in my yard let alone neighborhood. My level of regular "wildlife" visitors are backyard birds and critters (rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks). GroudHOG in the summer. Very rarely opposums and raccoons.

When we go for a walk along the path around the community pond, we occasionally see wild turkey and deer, resident beavers and of course turtles.

We have the backyard bird "regulars" that are visitors as well as nesters. It's great fun to hear or spot the rare visiting birds and seasonal migrants that are only here for the winter or the summer. Hummingbirds come in the summer every year, but I would love to have them nest in my garden. So far no such luck, so even though they arrive in the area around May, I don't see them visit regularly until near July.

I enjoy watching the smaller "wildlife" of the reptilian, insect and arachnid sort, too, as well as the macro soil foodweb members. I want to someday get a good microscope set up and watch even tinier critters. :()

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

tomf wrote:That is what deer fence is for.
The only problem with Deer fence is Deer don't know it is suppose to keep them out!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

We don't get anything too exciting around us either, but we live in an older neighborhood for the area with good established trees and larger properties so there is some activity. I see the occasional raccoon and even had their distinguishable muddy hand prints on our screen door one morning. We have quite a few foxes but most I've seen have pretty bad mange. I've also seen rabbits, opossums, and we have a resident groundhog who is going to have a rude awakening from hibernation when he discovers we got a fence and a dog since he was last awake. He used to lounge under our patio furniture and spread out like he owned the place.

As far as birds go we have a red-bellied woodpecker that I haven't seen in a while, but he used to visit the feeders daily. I loved seeing his bright head and black and white speckles. I had a wren nest in one of my flower pots last year and I'm hoping I'll get more babies this year. They're so fun to watch grow! I happened to be home to witness the first hatched couple of babies leave the nest for the first time. They kept waddling around the front deck. Unfortunately we might not seem like as much of a refuge now that we have our puppy romping around. Of course we have house finches, titmice, chickadees, morning doves, cardinals, oriels, wild canaries, blue jays, and robins hopping around the lawn. My least favorite feathered visitors are the turkey vultures... yuck! I had four of them congregating in my yard one day and I was sure there was something dead out there but they were just looking down on the neighborhood from our yard since we're on a hill.

Oh and hummingbirds!!! Love the ruby throats when they pass through :) They love my coral bells and I planted some trumpet honeysuckle to climb my garden arch that I hope they’ll enjoy! Right now it’s become a favorite perch for some of my other feathered visitors.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Jeff where in Mass do you live, I was from Saugus. You must be a long way from the Boston area.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

tomf wrote:Jeff where in Mass do you live, I was from Saugus. You must be a long way from the Boston area.
We are all the way west in the little notch between CT and MA. Boston is about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive depending on time of day and traffic. A little more rural which is what we were looking for and still close to the kids in CT. :)

Although the Boston area has been having reports of mountain lion sightings, we have only seen Bobcat.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

our yard has an enormous number of bird species to visit.

The following all nest on or near our country property and are regular visitors to it.

Blue birds, crested flycatchers, mocking birds, blue jays, morning doves, red headed wood peckers, summer tanager, thrasher, thrush, humming birds, chimney sweeps, wrens, sparrows, titmice, chickadees, nuthatch, towhee, indigo bunting, cardinal, slate junco, kingbird, vireo, goldfinch, robins, waxwing, various vireos, many of those hard to identify spring warblers, cow birds, various black birds and crows, waxwing, starlings, purple martins, strike, nighthawk, pileated woodpecker, red bellied wood pecker, various small wood peckers, eastern kingbird, red tail hawk, other non identified hawks

I'm not sure why we have such a wide variety of avian visitors each year, but our property is part of several thousand acres which has almost no development other than a few spotty houses, less than a dozen on our 3 mile stretch of country road. The tracts are mostly wooded, but have enough pasture and transition forest to attract many birds. On our property the habitat varies dramatically from tall canopy to transition, as well as open grassy areas. Much of the land is wooded, but also much is open from having the last of the pines cut before replanting this year. Also swampy areas surround the home site on three sides, at most a quarter mile away but well within our property lines. We are located almost in the middle of what has been the family farm for a few generations and are so fortunate to enjoy this quiet country life and all of the wildlife that it supports.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Our lot is larger than most subdivision lots. 1/3 + acre.

We used to be "in the country". The city has encroached and the wildlife and birds are fewer than they were.

There is no wildlife other than a few squirrels - even they are not as plentiful as they used to be. I still have doves, blue jays, mocking birds and cardinals nesting in the tree. The humming birds visit and feed from the feeders and flowers.

A BIG concern is the lack of honey bees. I have noticed a reduction in produce from the garden because the flowers are not being pollinated. Very few honey bees. Too many insecticides and not enough open space.

I have seen a sudden influx of wood bees trying to nest in the soffits and fascia boards. I am in the process of getting quotes for vinyl on the soffits and fascia. The house is brick so only the front entrance, soffits, fascia and a wall on the carport entrance need to be addressed. Hopefully that will eliminate the wood bee problem. I hate the thought of calling an exterminator.

My Sister lives "in the country". Her home is on 5 acres but she is 2 miles from civilization. Her yard is amazing! She has more wildlife than she wants as in armadillos that tear up her yard and coyotes that kill her cats.

Seems like there is always a give and take. Some good and some bad regardless of the situation. Personally I would love to move to "the country" and have some acreage. I want to raise chickens, a couple of sheep and a couple of goats, some guinea hens, and some ducks. Maybe even a cow.

I guess I need to win a major big Power Ball. The dream will not happen otherwise. Not with the price of property in my neck of the woods -no I am not going to move to some other region of the country, - too many family ties and deep roots.

OMG - I have gotten completely off track. Sorry for the ramble. I tend to do that.

Good luck with your endeavor.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:our yard has an enormous number of bird species to visit.

The following all nest on or near our country property and are regular visitors to it.

Blue birds, crested flycatchers, mocking birds, blue jays, morning doves, red headed wood peckers, summer tanager, thrasher, thrush, humming birds, chimney sweeps, wrens, sparrows, titmice, chickadees, nuthatch, towhee, indigo bunting, cardinal, slate junco, kingbird, vireo, goldfinch, robins, waxwing, various vireos, many of those hard to identify spring warblers, cow birds, various black birds and crows, waxwing, starlings, purple martins, strike, nighthawk, pileated woodpecker, red bellied wood pecker, various small wood peckers, eastern kingbird, red tail hawk, other non identified hawks

I'm not sure why we have such a wide variety of avian visitors each year, but our property is part of several thousand acres which has almost no development other than a few spotty houses, less than a dozen on our 3 mile stretch of country road. The tracts are mostly wooded, but have enough pasture and transition forest to attract many birds. On our property the habitat varies dramatically from tall canopy to transition, as well as open grassy areas. Much of the land is wooded, but also much is open from having the last of the pines cut before replanting this year. Also swampy areas surround the home site on three sides, at most a quarter mile away but well within our property lines. We are located almost in the middle of what has been the family farm for a few generations and are so fortunate to enjoy this quiet country life and all of the wildlife that it supports.
Nice

tomf
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Our lot is larger than most subdivision lots. 1/3 + acre.

We used to be "in the country". The city has encroached and the wildlife and birds are fewer than they were.

A BIG concern is the lack of honey bees. I have noticed a reduction in produce from the garden because the flowers are not being pollinated. Very few honey bees. Too many insecticides and not enough open space.

This is to bad, and the bees are a big scare for us all.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”