Kacykay
Newly Registered

MY PLANTS ARE SIMPLY DEER SNACKS....

What can I do to get them to stay away?? I have heard that cougar or fox urine works good... but what works BEST? :x

lillgardnr

it may sound silly, but a wind sock works great for me :lol: i think they fear the movements. my grandpa swears by metallic tinsley looking ones... though i havent used that yet. :lol:
Last edited by lillgardnr on Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Kacy :D

Fencing...really is the only sure fire method of keeping them out. There are lots of things that will deter them or plants that they are not keen on but all they do is DETER. If they are hungry they will keep coming. It might be expensive in the beginning but worth it rather than the heartache of watching your plants being munched into oblivion.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

A deer fence is the only sure fire way to keep them away. You can also plant a living fence with the perennial sunflower: Helianthus maximillani or just maximillian sunflower. Prune it down each winter and it the shoots are edible. But, the deer will not cross the hedge because of protrusions that extend from the stalk of the sunflower.

Also, i've mixed results of leaving little piles of blood meal around and even though I will never use this idea; leaving bowls filled with creosate around your garden will detur the deer. I definately wouldn't recommend using the latter technique if you have any pets of young children around though. But, I've heard that it works.

Really though, nothing beats a deer fence. (The only sure fire plant that deer won't eat is: Death Camus)

lillgardnr

ah...it looks like you may be up a creek without a paddle,my sister. do you have the option of building a fence where you are....i like the sunflower idea...that would look so nice along your walkway....I'm doing something kind of like that, but they are still a little small...i have some seeds left ill give them to dad when he comes by tomorrow...there biggies :P

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Lil,

just to note that it is the particular species of sunflower that works for the living fence idea because of it's particular form and physiology so, not all sunflowers will work.

And really with deer, there is no guarantee that anything (other than a fence that's at least 8 feet hight) will work.

lillgardnr

quite right....wow,...never knew...i do know that I'm growing them next year...that's for sure....and i know just where to put them... :D
thanks for the great info.... kacy, you should check those out...think about how nice they would look...even your neighbors would like them. :D :D :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

And you can eat the new shoots too! :)

lillgardnr

weird,....i read about it a little. that seems so strange to me. are they anything like bamboo? i love bamboo in soups and different dishes. yuuummmm :D

buddy110

I have had very good sucess with a product called Bobbex. It's a spray and so far this year it has worked remarkably well. I spray mine evry two weeks or so.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Short of fences or a very well trained dog I have had the best results with a product called Tree Guard, however, it does have a number of caveats. You have to clean out your sprayer thoroughly after each use as it will gum them up if you leave residue and it is ruined if you allow it to freeze. If you get it on your skin it quite difficult to entirely remove it.
Deer will eventually habituate to all the products that are purely scent based or stationary objects. I believe that Tree Guard primarily works by leaving an extremely bitter taste.

Dom Nizza

Jess wrote:Hi Kacy :D

Fencing...really is the only sure fire method of keeping them out. There are lots of things that will deter them or plants that they are not keen on but all they do is DETER. If they are hungry they will keep coming. It might be expensive in the beginning but worth it rather than the heartache of watching your plants being munched into oblivion.
Something like this might be worthwhile to build.

[img]https://www.mycommunity.com/uploads/22270_6.jpg[/img]

It will keep the deer out and those tomato stealing friends that visit. ... 8) .... :lol: ... :lol: This is what it looks like on the inside.

[img]https://www.mycommunity.com/uploads/22270_3.jpg[/img]

On the inside ...with all the beds ready for planting.. Lots of room to hang planters and shade material... Oh by the way your spouse can lock you in and know exactly where you are at all times! .... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol:

JPlovesflowers

Fencing

Kacy,
One of my closest friends had this problem with her blackberry patch. A friend of ours told her to put fence stakes up on the corners and to wrap clear fishing line around the perimeter at low, middle and top of the fence stake. This has worked perfectly for her ever since (at least 5 years) and we have all benefitted from the berries she has harvested. The fence stakes are the green metal kind that you see in the country, probably available at Lowe's or Home Depot or your local feed and seed. :D
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to plant and a time to uproot. Eccl 3:1&2b

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Deer populations are out of control in the US. There really aren't any deer resistant plants that I know of as deer seem to sample them all unless they're concrete or have razor blades for leaves. You could contact your county and state officials and ask that they seriously consider culling the deer, they're doing it in our state and several others and it really helps get their numbers back down to that which would be manageable. Many multiple births combined with a loss of natural predators leaves us with only hunters and our vehicles to keep their numbers down. Hunters seem to be a dying breed these days thanks to PETA and vehicles aren't quite getting enough deer to provide any relief.

Barring that, stationary objects, such as a life size scarecrow, work for all of maybe a week even if you move them around. The over the counter products have failed me more so because I forgot to re-apply them regularly as well as after it rained. Never managed to re-apply them frequently enough to be able to determine if over time deer become desensitized to the scents and tastes in favor of chowing down anyway. Make sense though and MaineDesigner isn't the first one to comment to that effect.

This works-
https://www.nodeer.com/deerfencing/index.php4

Would like to surround my entire property with the above but need a variance to do so. Have failed to procure same to date. Until then, I've been using tree tubes and chicken wire enclosures to help plants establish. That works great until rutting season comes.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Years ago I was at a native plant symposium and was in one of the slide shows when the presentor was talking about deer resistant plant... and the only truly deer resistant plant was Death Camus. Basically because if the deer eat it, they die.

It's quite a pretty flower a white heat with many little florets, I like it.

I think I said this above but, apparently if you plant a hedge of Maximillian sunflowers, the deer won't cross it because the protrusions from the stems are irritating to their skin.

The sunflower is also edible so you get duel uses from it.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

You have a point there, Death Camas is one that I've never seen them sample. They've also never sampled my Water Hemlock and I would know if they had ever sampled that plant as they'd drop dead at the base of the plants.

The problem with Helianthus maximiliani is that it's a Central states native. Anywhere east and west of that area it is introduced and it can get pretty weedy.
https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_hema2.pdf

ahughes798
Cool Member

Lorax...there are PLENTY of deer resistant plants, however, most of them are not native. Any county extension office will give you a list of deer-resistant plants.

I look at it this way....we opened up a buffet for them...and I can't blame them for taking advantage of it.

ahughes798
Cool Member

You will rue the day you plant maximillian sunflower. It's a VERY aggressive native plant..

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I think that since this thread was started in the Wildlife Garden forum that the original poster is looking for native plants that are deer resistant. Wildlife gardeners pretty much exclusively use native plants.

I agree with you that the buffet is opened when we garden specifically for wildlife however these plants need at least several years to establish and many species need several more to begin reproducing.

Some county extensions offices are progressive. Others, not so progressive. Depends on the beliefs of the person in charge of a given extension office. The list of deer resistant plants that my extension office passes out to local residents includes some invasive species and it's the same list they've been passing out for years. the list of plants they pass out for butterfly and hummingbird enthusiasts is even more pathetic. I've shared the handouts with people from other extension offices and I can see them raising their eyebrows while biting their tongues.

horselover
Newly Registered

Irish Spring Soap to Deter Deer

There are deer where I live too. My neighbor swears by shredding Irish Spring soap or cutting into chunks and hanging it or spreading it on the ground (where it doesn't get repeatedly wet). It smells so strong and icky that the deer will mosey on.
novice organic gardener always interested in learning & growing!
usda zone 9 / sunset zone 18

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Never underestimate the willingness of a hungry animal to allow its senses to be bombarded by the smell of Irish Spring soap shavings hung in onion bags. I have photos of shrubs with the shavings hung in them. The deer ate the other sides of the shrubs.

Sometimes, laying down a 10' band of chicken wire can help. They aren't familiar with the sensation of walking on the chicken wire and they can't see where it starts and ends all that well. This will work for a few weeks until they begin to figure out that it won't harm them. After that, they will walk right over it to get to what they want to eat. Laying down chicken wire is yet another "quick fix" that provides nothing more than temporary relief.

koonaone
Location: Lillooet - HighBar - Cariboo, BC - Bioregions of Corrdilera

There are some good thoughts on deer on this page:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8228&highlight=

Good luck with {b]your[/b] deer.

douglas

Hah! Peak oil? Try Peak water, and Peak Land at the same time. Overgrazed is more like it.

koonaone
Location: Lillooet - HighBar - Cariboo, BC - Bioregions of Corrdilera

Oh Oh Pilot error

Good luck with {b]your[/b] deer.

Good luck with your deer.

douglas

Snippy

Deer Snacks

I read in a magazine a few years ago, that Irish Spring Bars placed in the plants keep the deer away. This particular gardener would purchase more than a few dozen and then when the scent wore off (which I'm sure took some time) he would replace them! 8)

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”