tomf
Super Green Thumb

Almost hit a buck!

I was driving down my road and a buck jumped over a fence and landed right in front of my car, fast reactions kept me from hitting it.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

South East Ohio nigh the West Virginia border deer, makes driving around like Pac Man.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Good job at avoiding it. My partner was driving on the freeway, at freeway speeds, when a whole herd of 7 of them jumped out in front of her. She managed to avoid all but the last one, but hit it. Nearly totalled her car, which was in the shop for a month after that.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

This womn calls in to a radio station to say the deer crossing signs should be moved, so the deer will not cross the road at a busy place.

shadylane
Green Thumb

She also stated that to a news paper and television, then called in the radio station. I could almost think she said that to have attention in a odd way...but then she had been hitting deer several times.. The lack of common sense??

gardeningwithe

Deer are a big problem here. This summer my husband hit one and had to have his car repaired, this fall I hit one and didn't have any damage, a week later my boss hit one and had to have his repaired. It was the craziest thing when I hit mine. I had almost stopped the car (there are often deer on my road as we are near a state park and they like to go into nearby fields and eat) because there were 7 of them. I know I'm fixing to sound crazy, but one just jumped up on my hood and slid across. I thought it was going to go through my windshield and had just enough time to picture myself getting mauled but then all of a sudden it just slid off. Thank goodness for morning dew on the car and a wet deer otherwise it could have been really bad. I joke that it was just a teenager showing off for his friends. Thankfully, he got up and went on his way. Poor things- you would think they would eventually learn though. So far the only time I have hit one, but since I run across them almost weekly fingers crossed it is the only time it happens! Glad you avoided it!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

If you hit one and cut it in half you would have half a buck! :lol:

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Couple years ago, on the way to the airport to pick up the priest for a service, a doe jumped from behind a tree, like she had been waiting for us. I always thought I would be the one who could avoid a deer. Pieces of the grill were hitting the windscreen, I thought it was coming through but she went under and was hit be the truck behind us. No fun.

Richard

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”