cjjjj
Newly Registered

black swallowtail chrysalis on parlsey stem

Can anyone help me with this? I found a black swallowtail caterpillar on my parsley plant on my window box (five stories up!). I transferred him and the plant to a 2-gallown tank, as I was afraid he would wander off to find a stick to chrysalize on and fall down five stories. But now, even though he had several sticks, he has made his chrysalis on a parsley stem! I can keep the parsley alive for the time being, but I am afraid he will decide to overwinter, and will lose his support-stick. Has anyone had any experience with supporting a stem or transferring the chrysalis to somewhere stronger?

applestar
Mod

If the chrysalis is green and not tan, most likely it will eclose in 11-14 days and become a butterfly. They tend to form tan colored chrysalis for overwintering (better camouflage in dried dead winter).

To move the chrysalis to a sturdier stick, simply cut the parsley stem above and below the chrysalis, being sure not to cut the tether silks, then use tapes to secure the top and bottom of the parsley stem to a stick of your choice. Make sure there is plentyof wing room to spread and dry when the butterfly encloses, and keep the chrysalis in a warm room away from A/C vents.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”