HyperFerret

DUMB Man's DOGS!!! I am so MAD!!!

Okay, I just saw a couple topics down someone already asked how to repel cats away from their garden. But I already typed this out and I just really had to vent. So here is my rampage and my venting...

I am seriously ANGRY! My neighbor has a dog who had puppies. They kept 2 of the puppies, plus the momma dog. Well, their puppies, who are a lot bigger now (about 3 feet high at the shoulder), keep on getting out of my neighbors backyard. Continuously! I mean a lot! All the time! I am so tired of these dogs getting out! These puppies have COMPLETELY DISTROYED my garden! They have TRAMPLED EVERTHING in MY garden!!!! I love my garden. I did NOT break my back over this piece of land just to let a couple of puppies wreak the entire thing. I have spent roughly $200.00 on my garden, my place of peace, and I do NOT appreciate my neighbors dogs killing everything in it!!!!! Not only are they beating all my plants into the ground but they are also breaking all of my garden ornaments. They are literally tearing up my ENTIRE garden. I am NOT HAPPY !!!

The worst part is the fact that my neighbor, the owner of these dogs, does not even care! Man am I mad!

Is there anything I can do to discourage those puppies from getting into my garden???

PLEASE HELP! I have already put the puppies back into the backyard 5 different times today! I know they are obviously getting out somewhere but I don't know where. I have resorted to spraying the puppies with my garden hose every time I see them in my garden. I have my curtains open and each time I see them near my garden I run outside yelling a brisk, "Get! Get! Get!", as I reach down snatching up my garden hose and spraying water at their feet, scaring them away. I probably look like an insane crazy lady but oh well.

If anyone has ANY suggestions on how to keep those dog out of my garden then PLEASE tell me!

I am on my LAST nerve!

Now don't get me wrong... I ~LOVE~ critters. I own A BUNCH of critters. But for crying out loud! I keep my critters under control!

*sigh* Okay, I'm done venting. Thank you for hearing me out.

Jess
Greener Thumb

You have every right to be livid. Hope you feel better for having got that off your chest.
Are there no laws on dog control in Arkansas? Surely if they are damaging your property you can prosecute or are you worried about upsetting your neighbours? Don't be. If they cannot be responsible dog owners then they shouldn't be allowed to keep dogs! Other than that all I can suggest is borrow a police dog (maybe if you have a word with your local police) that is trained as a guard dog. You would only need it for a short time. I am sure it would frighten them off for good.

HyperFerret

I know there is a leash law where I live. Which this would fall under, I'm sure. However, I would hate to call the animal shelter on him. Well, on him, I would love to but for the dogs I would hate to. Two reasons why: (1st.) I'm afraid that the dogs would be killed. The only shelter that would pick them up from my area will only hold an animal for like a week before killing it. (And 2nd.) I'm afraid that if I do call the pound on my neighbor he will do something to me or to my critters for revenge or something like that.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Unfortunately in our day and country, we have suit-happy and revenge-happy (what an oxymoron) folks seemingly outnumbering reasonable folks. Instead of animal control, could you file a complaint with the police dept., anonymously? I've had to do that with a couple of neighbors after talking to them several times about barking dogs in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn. If there's a local pet supply store nearby they can advise you on sprays that might be safe for plants but nasty for dogs. Maybe invest in some chicken wire for gaps in the gate, fence, hinges, etc.? Puppies seem to be made of rubber and can fit through the darndest places, at least until their bones harden or something. :lol: I've found a big squirt gun (Super-Soaker-type) with some cheap perfume or aftershave mixed in with the water will make many a four-legger think twice. Not all mind you, but many. Too bad you don't have toads--they are nasty tasting (according to my dog), who, after one attempted bite now years later still avoids that part of my garden. Of course, I managed to put a few lumpy rocks that could pass for toads around, to help the image. The water squirting is a start--there are also gadgets that emit an ultrasonic pitch for a deterrent, but I don't know if they really work or not. Good luck. and

Happy Gardening,

Wingdesigner

pixelphoto

I would do one of three things
1 I would start by telling my neighbor that his dogs are escaping his yard and coming into mine and that they are destroying my very expensive garden and if he could to please make arrangements to restrain his dogs in some fashion as to not allow them to come into my yard.

if that didnt work I would go to stage 2

2 contact local animal control and have them remove the dogs from yoru yard file a written complaint.
you may have to call them out several times before they either catch the animals or your neighbor gets the point

if that doesnt work go to stage 3.

3 posion or shoot the dogs. ONLY WHEN IN YOUR YARD. I have the right to protect my property and crops as a farmer and citizen. I am sorry your dog ate some poisoned meat that was in my yard I threw it out because it was bad they must have gone through my garbage can in my yard.

I understand your concern for your own animals and starting a problem with your neighbor.
Maybe you could fence off the area really well they have metal tpost and wire fence. Pour quickcrete in the holes under the fence if they are digging under. I wish you well it can be a serious problem.

lillgardnr

sooo.....? were you able to get your neighbor to take control over his animals? is your garden on the mend?

ahughes798
Cool Member

Poison the dogs? Kind of cruel, IMO. Why not just ask the neighbor to please fix the hole in his fence. If he doesn't do that, then call the police and file a complaint. No need for poison.

pixelphoto

Well I did give other options before going the poison route.
That said if an animal does harm to my property it will be the animal that suffers not I.
I had completely forgotten about this post it was posted in Jun of 2007.
Wonder what happened?

imagardener2

ahughes798 wrote:Poison the dogs? Kind of cruel, IMO. Why not just ask the neighbor to please fix the hole in his fence. If he doesn't do that, then call the police and file a complaint. No need for poison.
Sometimes talking ot your neighbor doesn't have the desired effect. If they have neighbors like mine the neighbor would just make sure the dogs were out more often.

Signed,

Someone whose next door neighbor's dogs and cats think my yard is their bathroom

Grey
Greener Thumb

My neighbors dog tore up some of my garden a few weeks ago. I was pretty peeved.

Animal control. And doggie pepper spray.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

HyperFerret,

I can sympathize completely, I have a neighbor who refuses to control their dog. They let it out at night when I can't tell, but it leaves it's calling cards for me. It also barks incessantly the minute I come outside. They also refuse to mow a large orchard, this diminishes the value of the trees and also encourages animals to forage in my garden. I see no solution as they obviously do not care about my concerns. To make matters worse the property used to belong to my grandparents and this seems to add insult to injury.

Speaking to him does no good, I tried. I also have fear that he will retaliate against me. You should hear the way he screams at his wife and children. I wonder why a person like that did not stay in the city.

Norm

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I have dogs but they are always either on leash or inside a fence when outside. I also have irresponsible neighbors who let their dogs run and I definitely don't appreciate it. That said, your quarrel is with the owner not the dogs. Poisoning or shooting dogs (or cats) is an action far fouler and more reprehensible than anything dogs are capable of.

imagardener2

Gnome wrote:It also barks incessantly the minute I come outside.
My next door neighbor's dogs are the same way.My solutions cost me $50 but it was sooo worth it.

I bought an electronic device that you point toward a dog and push one of two buttons. One emits a sound that is pleasing to dogs, the other is apparently quite caustic sounding to them. (If I don't see the red light come on I don't know if it's working or not.)

It took a month or so of using it, but they don't bark anymore when we go out in the backyard.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I need a linky to this device, imagegardener. The neighbor behind us has a dog that also barks incessantly anytime I step outside. In fact, if I walk past our French doors at night (from INSIDE the house), it barks at me.

I do have two dogs of my own, they know to stay out of garden beds - although we have no fences, they never step in my garden or my neighbor's. They know what's not permitted, and it wasn't hard to teach them that.

imagardener2

We have a [url=https://www.radiofence.com/shock-collars-dog-training-collars/petsafe_ultrasonic_dog_training_collar.htm]PETSAFE Ultrasonic Remote Trainer[/url] and my husband tells me it was less than $30. The shocking collar we bought first was over $50. Surprisingly the 2nd device worked FAR better for our dog with the added benefit of working on the neighbor's dogs and cats. (If I see them in the yard and use the device it sends them scooting without me saying a word.)

ahughes798
Cool Member

Gnome,

I know plenty of screaming/abusing/unruly dog-having <b>native</b> rural dwellers. It ain't just a city thing, and there's a never ending supply of rural freaks, just read the newspapers, LOL!...

April

Garden Spider
Cool Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I know I'm late to this thread, but I thought I'd like to add my 2 cents worth as a dog owner and lover. My pet peeve is irresponsible dog owners because they are the ones who inspire cities to enact breed-specific legislation, ban even leashed dogs from public parks, beaches, and walking trails.

I have 2 German Shepherds who are spayed and neutered. They are always either inside the house or out in the fenced back yard. If they begin barking excessively, I bring them inside. When we take them out for walks, they are in a 6 ft leash at all times (no Flexi-Leads here!).

Unfortunately, many of my neighbors don't see things the same way. I have walked my well-trained, well-behaved on-leash dogs around the neighborhood, and had dogs run out of an unsecured yard to attack my dogs. I have had to clean dog poo out of my flower beds in the front yard, where my dogs never go.

I would NEVER set poisoned bait out for an animal. It's cruel, and you are just as likely to poison a non-target animal (birds, generally, or opossums or raccoons). It may also be against the law.

My first approach would be to contact the neighbors, and try to arrive at an amicable solution. If they are not willing to keep the dogs confined, or pay for the damage to the garden, the next step depends on the neighbors . . . and what you think their response would be. My choice would be to call animal control with a complaint of loose dogs, and/or neglected dogs. This step carries some risk, if the neighbors decide to retaliate (my mother had a box of tacks emptied into her driveway and carport, following a complaint to animal control on her part). Another option is to talk to other neighbors who are fed up with the loose dogs, and all of you get together and talk to the neighbor. Maybe he/she/they could ignore one person, but 3 or 4 together might make them think a bit. Still no response, then ask everyone in the group to call animal control.

Animal control should be the ones to handle the dogs. We, as civilians, do NOT have the legal authority to deal with someone else's property--which pets are. Anything you or I do on our own may result in legal complications; the only exception (in this state, at least) is for a farmer, who may shoot an animal chasing or harrassing his livestock. Personally, I would rather see an animal go into a shelter, than be left running loose. There are too many ways for a loose dog or cat to die while running loose--cars, legal poisons such as slug bait or antifreeze, toxic chemicals (eg drain cleaner) in garbage are just a few that come to mind. If the owner cares enough to retrieve the dog from the shelter, good. If not, the dog has a chance for adoption with someone who will be responsible. If that doesn't happen, at least the dog will have a humane death, instead of dying of internal injuries from being hit by a car or in convulsions from some poison. There are worse things than euthenasia.

Barb

imagardener2

Garden Spider wrote:My choice would be to call animal control with a complaint of loose dogs, and/or neglected dogs....Animal control should be the ones to handle the dogs. We, as civilians, do NOT have the legal authority to deal with someone else's property--which pets are.
That's all well and good IF the animal control people in your town will do something about it. Ours punch in at 8 and out at 5 (notice I didn't say 'work'). I've called to report packs of dogs and had animal control show up an hour or so later. Think the dogs were still around?

Garden Spider
Cool Member

imagardener2 wrote:
Garden Spider wrote:My choice would be to call animal control with a complaint of loose dogs, and/or neglected dogs....Animal control should be the ones to handle the dogs. We, as civilians, do NOT have the legal authority to deal with someone else's property--which pets are.
That's all well and good IF the animal control people in your town will do something about it. Ours punch in at 8 and out at 5 (notice I didn't say 'work'). I've called to report packs of dogs and had animal control show up an hour or so later. Think the dogs were still around?
Yes, this is a problem in my county, as well. 20 years ago we had 38 animal control officers . . . today, we have 28, and they are handling more animals and more complaints than ever.

Yes, they do work regular shifts--8 hours. They punch in at 8 and out at 5. So do I, at my job. Those are my normal, working hours. Working your normal shift is a bad thing???

Animal control anywhere is a hard, thankless job. I've met some of the animal control officers here locally, and in other states. Many of them spend nights in the shelter, beyond their 8 hour shift, to bottle feed kittens and puppies every 2 hours, or to care for an injured or sick. The vet techs at our shelter will respond to a middle of the night medical emergency that a foster parent has with an animal. Animal control officers spend time in court, testifying in animal cruelty cases.

Not all animal control organizations everywhere are as good as our local one. But I would encourage anyone who is dissatisfied with their local animal control to volunteer at the shelter--walk dogs, play with dogs, socialize cats and kittens, bathe and groom the animals. Make a difference. Meet the paid staff. And if a bond levy comes up to support the animal shelter, get out there and vote for it. The only way organizations will change if we, thef public, get involved.

imagardener2

Garden Spider wrote:
imagardener2 wrote:Ours punch in at 8 and out at 5 (notice I didn't say 'work').
Yes, they do work regular shifts--8 hours. They punch in at 8 and out at 5. So do I, at my job. Those are my normal, working hours. Working your normal shift is a bad thing???
I have no problem with working a 'normal' shift, but the operative word here is work, which I didn't use in regard to our animal control ~ and I noted it.
Garden Spider wrote:But I would encourage anyone who is dissatisfied with their local animal control to volunteer at the shelter--walk dogs, play with dogs, socialize cats and kittens, bathe and groom the animals. Make a difference. Meet the paid staff. And if a bond levy comes up to support the animal shelter, get out there and vote for it. The only way organizations will change if we, thef public, get involved.
Ours doesn't allow volunteers to work there, but I have gotten involved - I called my City Council rep, the City Manager and attended City Council meetings. They all agreed with me, but unfortunately that hasn't changed anything.

imagardener2

I found this in an [url=https://www.gardeningclub.com/Projects/Project.aspx?id=129788]article[/url]:

"Control those cats.
Gardeners don't like finding “presentsâ€

Garden Spider
Cool Member

[/quote]Ours doesn't allow volunteers to work there, but I have gotten involved - I called my City Council rep, the City Manager and attended City Council meetings. They all agreed with me, but unfortunately that hasn't changed anything.[/quote]

Good for you! Sometimes it takes a while to get things going in government. Even if nothing changes, at least you took steps to try. I admire that.

aqh88
Cool Member

Poisoning is illegal in most places. However shooting is entirely legal in many areas of the country and done quite frequently here. Stray dogs are kept to a minimum because they are either shot, hauled off by animal control, or hit on the roads.

Late but for the future a good nonlethal quite permanent solution is to use an electric fence. A thin wire and some small fiberglass rods aren't overly noticeable like a large chainlink fence would be and extremely easy to install as well as fairly inexpensive for a small area. It stops even my akita (large japanese gaurd dog) from leaving areas I don't want her to and they are quite known for their ability to escape. She'll even dive right through strands of barb wire ignoring the scrapes. Jump over and dig under mesh fences. But the 2 rows of ankle and knee high thin wire my neighbor uses for his sheep stop her cold. She won't even cross that fenceline when it's off and I pull the wires down flat and step over them myself. Once they get shocked they will not cross that boundary again. You can get small low cost chargers or even battery powered ones for small areas. A larger charger though will be a bigger discouragement. It is painful but does no lasting harm to most animals. Anything with a preexisting heart condition may not handle tangling with a fence that has a large charger but otherwise it's harmless. Ours is designed to cover 4 miles of fence and knocks me to my knees if I don't jerk back fast enough but the dogs, horses, and I never have lasting effects. They won't touch it twice that's for sure.

A slight upgrade if that doesn't work and what we use for our horses is electric tape. Much more visible although it comes in green and brown to blend in and covers a larger area so they can't slip past the wire and it will not cut if something becomes entangled in it like with a thin wire. Carries the same charge. The wire would just be easier to install and nearly invisible so as not to ruin the view around your garden.

Install in an area you keep cut low so nothing grounds the wire. It should only touch the plastic fasteners and then the charger which then hooks to a ground rod. Everything else it comes in contact with will lessen the charge. Will deter cats to some extent too but they can jump it easier than most dogs so 3 or 4 very close together strands might be needed which then does become a visible fenceline around things especially if you go to tape to avoid them slipping the wires.

Toms92gp

imagardener2 wrote:
That is exactly how ours Animal control is around here. In fact them and the Sherriff's department told us to just shoot the dogs if we have repeated problems with them. I have a 22 that I put .22 shotshell in aka rat shot. It's not really powerfuk enough to seriously hurt a medium-large dog, it just hurst enough to send them running, alot of dogs won't come back for quite a while after that. I've only had to kill one dog, he had no collar, and tried to kill my wifes dacshund and snapped at my wife. I've Thinking about getting a paintball gun, I know they sting pretty good when you get hit by them. I think it would hurt the dog less then rat shot but enought to still send them running. Plus paint ball paint washes right off. All of my Neighbors are good about there dogs for the most part. There was a pack of stray dogs around here but my neighbor took care of them after they broke in to his dog pen and raped his dog.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”