wesleyc

What kind of ant mound is this?

So I'm currently in the process of fixing the new lawn (it was half dead when I got to it)and I noticed a lot of ants around. I didn't really have a problem with them because ants aerate the soil and my lawn could use all the help it could get. But I recently found this "mound" and thought it was incredibly interesting looking. I've never seen one like this. It looks like they made a crack in the ground. Any insight?
Attachments
AntCrack.JPG
AntCrack.JPG (81.35 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

LA47
Green Thumb

Are fire ants in your area? If you don't know just take a stick and stir around the mound. If the ants come boiling out and they are smal red an black ants they are probably fire ants. Otherwise I have no idea.

wesleyc

LA47 wrote:Are fire ants in your area? If you don't know just take a stick and stir around the mound. If the ants come boiling out and they are smal red an black ants they are probably fire ants. Otherwise I have no idea.
When I'm pulling weeds a ton usually pour out but I haven't noticed if they are red or not. They are certainly mostly black. I'll have to check when I get home. It was just a very strange ant mound.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”