applestar
Mod

Caterpillars I'm watching in wild grape & honeysuckle...

Noticed this one in the volunteer presumably wild grape I'm letting grow on a wall trellis by the house. I haven't had the chance to look it up for ID yet (anybody know?):

-- This grape seems to be happy here and is growing some flower buds this year and may even fruit. So I'm considering replacing it with a disease resistant dessert cultivar next year 8)

I didn't take a picture, but I noticed a caterpillar on the honey suckle outside our family room window. It looked like the Snowberry Clearwing moth -- aka Bumblebee Moth -- caterpillar that I found on the same plant a few years ago. (I'll go look for the old thread)

...I'm back -- it looks like this is the oldest thread with mention of the moth and it says I ID'd the caterpillars and overwintered their cocoons in the garage the previous year, a year before I joined this forum. So I probably don't have the photo of the caterpillars posted or uploaded. I posted a photo of the moth we released though :wink:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 083#p53083

applestar
Mod

Ooooh! Could the grapevine caterpillar be THIS one? 8)
:arrow: https://bugguide.net/node/view/485/bgimage

I hope so :() -- off to research if they live around here.... :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

does your grapevine caterpillar have the red bands that are on the eight spotted forester? Doesn't really show up in the pictures.

applestar
Mod

I'm thinking I see them when I enlarge the second photo to maximum. First one is not quite in focus.

-- here, I had an idea :idea:

Pushed brightness as far as it would go in PSexpress:

Pushed saturation to max:

applestar
Mod

They do live around here but it hasn't been reported from my county, so I'll submit a report to butterfliesandmoths if I can figure out their new submission protocol. :D If and when ID is confirmed by their experts, it will be added to their database. 8)

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Have you seen any of those butterflies around? They are seriously cool looking! Is it too early for them to have metamorphosed into adults yet do you think? We have swallow tail, and monarch butterflies in our area, but hardly see the butterflies. I mostly see the caterpillars. That would be seriously cool if they confirm it. :cool:

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”