MeginMichigan
Newly Registered

Who is eating my Hummingbird Mint, and what can I do!?

Hello. I started a lovely new garden in my backyard this spring (new to gardening) with a purple and blue theme. I am on a budget and all about the perennials. I was so excited when I found agastache (Hummingbird Mint) at my local nursery! I planted it about a week ago and it has been assaulted by some unknown critter, repeatedly! The first day I noticed the leaves had been chewed off at the stem and spit out next to the plant. Now it seems the critter is actually ingesting the leaves, not just biting them off. The poor plants look pathetic. Does anyone know what might be doing this or what I can do? I read that deer do not usually like this plant. The other creatures we have in our area are moles, voles, chipmunks, ground squirrels, frogs, raccoons, possums, snakes, minks and foxes. We have very few of the little critters around due to a pretty high numbers of foxes and hawks. After reading that some critters are turned off by animal hair, I tried sprinkling some cat hair on the plants, (much to my cat's chagrin...she doesn't like to be brushed) and it seems to have no effect. Should I call it quits and dig these plants up and replace them with something else? That will make me sad. :( Up until now, I have been very successful living in harmony with my furry and feathered neighbors! If it is a lost cause, does anyone have recommendations for perennials that are sun-loving and resistant to animals for zone 5? Plants with blue or purple flowers are a bonus. Thanks all.
-Meg

applestar
Mod

Nothing else? Just the agastache?

Biting off and spitting out is typical of rabbits trying out new food.... If its rabbits, knee high fence -- decorative or functional -- could keep the out.

MeginMichigan
Newly Registered

Thank you for the recipe for anti-bunny spray. The agastache is the only thing that has been targeted, so far. I just haven't ever had a problem and this is so frustrating! We are leaving tomorrow for a long weekend up north; I'll assess the situation upon our return home. Another question about rabbits, I think I recall reading that they do not often eat things above the level of their nose-is this accurate? I am thinking about digging the agastache out, planting in a container, and re-planting when they are able to get bigger and taller. Thoughts?

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”