MsFord209

No honey bees

I recently read an article where a team of scientist/entemologists(insects, right?) & a few other ecological fields had formed something of a task force to investigate the theory that cell phone waves, if u will, are causing electrical interference of bee frequencies which is vital to their being able to communicate with one another & also makes them not able to "hunt" for food properly. Their receptors are out of sync. I'm using layman's terms but hopefully u get my drift. Humans also have electrical components related to bring able to function. The multitude of cell towers, wifi, iclouds & the like is basically interrupting their central nervous systems,to use human terms, from doing what the bees need to survive. I'm guiltily posting this from my iPhone. I believe the wireless era must be affecting some species in some way. Many animals have a built in radar or sonar. Watching a mass migration looks wild but they travel many miles with a plan mapped out at specific times of year & they communicate this information amongst each other in a language we can't understand. I'm a cellphone junkie, admittedly, but I would throw it out if we could somehow go back to the days when no one had such devices. And life went on. I believe we're in the days of too much of a good thing. Too much technology. App or pill or procedure for everything. Sigh...I'm guilty so now I'm recycling all if my trash. We're gonna fossilize landfills full of trash that's not biodegradable & leached who knows what into the earth as it broke down. It's humiliating when u look back upon the beautiful hieroglyphics & ancient tools archaeologists of or time have unearthed. Extinct species found in incredible condition so that we may study. Our history. I'm ashamed of the mark we are on the verge of leaving on our beloved planet out of greed. And I guess being spoiled. I drive a gasoline vehicle almost without a choice. I'm saving for electric but u get my point. Trying to organize a recycling iniatiative for our city. We're small enuff to where I can really get something done at city hall. We have a very caring mayor. A shock to me. But there's a lot of good things going on here all the time. The elected officials actually care & want to make the city better. One day I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner & as I was throwing things n the trash I noticed it was all paper, plastic, glass or food. Almost 100% recyclable unless I tossed in dead batteries or something. I know I shouldn't.:( I asked the city over the phone for one of the "green" dumpsters. A few days later it was there. It gets emptied, I'm not sure by whom. I can start with my block until everyone has two. That's something at least. Maybe start some community gardens. I've noticed that the nicer a neighborhood looks, the less people tend to just toss trash on the streets. There's still a few but I've had less problems since I put a trash can at the edge of my property. I work hard on my yard & every morning there seemed to b the random soda bottle or snickers wrapper tossed in my yard. Rather than patrol for offenders( I thought about it!) I simply provided an alternative to littering. IMHO mankind needs to dial it back a bit. There was less crime, also, in the good old days when successful was being able to put n a long days work & were happy if they could provide for their families & having a home with workable land to leave to their children. No one wanted, rather, aspired for $100 million. Pardon the rant but I love this site for the fact that I can get in touch with my inner tree hugger! With fellow earth loving loons.:)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice post. It would read easier if you put in a few paragraph breaks. :)

I hadn't heard that about possible connection between honeybee problems and cell phones, wifi etc. I'll have to look for more about it, but I think the answer (as usual) is both/and. That is it isn't just the cell phones, or just the multitude of herbicides and pesticides they are exposed to, or just the mites and diseases that are thriving more in warmer climate, or just the fact that in warmer winters they use up their food too fast or just that they are being trucked around all the time, but the combination of all of these and probably others that we don't know about, adding up to an overwhelming number of abuses and insults.

And yes, all of these things affect human beings as well as bees, just perhaps not as fast.

It always feels good to hear about the good things that individuals and towns are doing, but as a species we are not learning nearly quickly enough the necessity to protect the earth systems. And pretty much all our efforts are being overwhelmed by population growth. If you could cut the per capita use of resources and production of CO2 and other pollutants in HALF (not a goal anyone even thinks about), but the population doubles, you have accomplished nothing. World population was 4 billion in 1974, 6 billion in 1999, 7 billion in 2011, 8 billion in maybe 7 or 8 years from now ....

But all each of us can do is do the best we can to lower our footprint on the earth and work to develop projects that help others do the same. The most important thing any one person can do is have no more than one child. I know people don't like to hear that, but no amount of living simply can make up for all the resources/pollution that will be used by your children and their children. And this is very much more true for Americans than others, since our children use so much more than their fair share:

A child born in the United States will create thirteen times as much ecological damage over the course of his or her lifetime than a child born in Brazil ... the average American will drain as many resources as 35 natives of India and consume 53 times more goods and services than someone from China.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ion-habits

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Too late to edit the above, but here's a thread I started back in 2010 about what people are doing to reduce their environmental impact:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 33&t=29951

There have been other similar ones, which I don't have time to go looking for now, but it is always a good topic.

... Since I linked it, I went back and read all seven pages of that thread! It was wonderful and full of creative ideas, some of which I haven't yet implemented, but still want/ intend to.

imafan26
Mod

Bees are in decline, it is being called colony collapse disorder. There are a lot of factors contributing from loss of habitat, hive parasites, varoa mites and hive beetles, and pesticides (especially systemics). Climate changes and plant pollen and nectar availability as well as parasites are decimating wild colonies. Managed colonies are overcrowded, parasites in a colony can destroy the hive in a matter of weeks. Hives being transported to more distant fields stresses bees. Bees can be further exposed to pesticides during foraging. The spread of Africanized bees makes beekeeping more difficult. Not to mention that unwanted bees are being killed when they choose to nest near human populations.

I haven't heard about the cell phones and bees.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=15572

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”