shadylane
Green Thumb

"Have some backbone...That's my pet snake Reggie"

This is Reggie...

[Image

That's before Reggie became Reginna!

I discovered these in the compost while removing dirt...I quickly covered them back up...if they hatched I didn't see them. From what information I can gather they came from this Pine Snake that was lurking about.
Last edited by shadylane on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Natural
Cool Member

Nice snake you have there. Last summer i had a scary run in with a 8ft black runner. Was up in a bush in my yard at about head height,
after i was just watching a show about black mamba's :D made me laugh afterward.
My Apache and Ouachita blackberry twigs both came in!!!!

-Gardener By Hobby

-Maintenance Man

applestar
Mod

Wait, so is Regina the pictured snake, and she's a wild Pine Snake?
I have no clue about snakes as pets and was wondering if they would come back when called, etc.....

At first I thought you were saying that you had let your actual pet snake climb the tree for a "run". As always your garden is providing habitat for some "exotic" wildlife! :o. ...I counted 15 eggs... :shock:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I had pet snakes when I was a kid. They like the warmth of your skin and so they like being handled and will "cuddle" up. They don't come when called and will just escape if given the chance.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

LA47
Green Thumb

I actually like a few small snakes around but that one is big enough to startle me if I found it while weeding!
High Altitude Gardener zone 4B or 5A

shadylane
Green Thumb

Thank you!

The Natural, Im thinking you might be thinking of the Black Racers that chased you. I too years ago had been chased by a Blue Racer. They move very fast. There also is a Yellow Belied Racer, which they all have a very large range across our nation. Their habitt are woods, grassy and brushy areas along with rocky slopes. Thank you for the "up lifting" story it gave me a giggle. :)

Applestar, Thank you, Im trying to keep the grounds for wild habitat. If I don't see them again, I did at least seen them once as they passed by.
Im very sure that is Regina pictured in the tree. I found her shortly after the discovery of the eggs. As far as I can tell she is a Pine Snake, which would be her Eastern name, Bullsnake in the Midwestern and Gopher snake in the Western parts of the nation.
There are several races, I hope some will stay. They do follow the food sorce, as shown with her sitting in a tree, my guess its bird eggs... which they rarley do. Their main food sorce is rodents. The babies become a food sorce for the Hawks here but there are alot of hidding places. Thank you Applestar.

Rainbow, I enjoy those warm hugs but for Pine snakes it rings their dinner bell...They are a powerful constrictor, maybe not like The Natural's "Black Mummba" :) ...but all the same. I had thought that being the reason for eggs found in the compost area, she found it a good place.

LA47, She did give me a jump of nerves when she passed over the tops of my shoes while in the strawberry patch, that was the first time I seen her... I carefully moved back :)

Marlingardener, I too enjoy snakes outdoors, In the past I came across a Hognose snake, that one gave me a big fright. They hiss and lunge at you. I'm not sure if they or the bullsnake make a fake rattleing sound. All the same it makes you take a step back..

Thank you gardeners :D

The Natural
Cool Member

All the same though lol, a heart attack is a heartattack either way. :D
My Apache and Ouachita blackberry twigs both came in!!!!

-Gardener By Hobby

-Maintenance Man

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”