tomf
Super Green Thumb

Watched a turkey vulture fly today.

I sat for a time today and watched one of the local turkey vultures fly around a field. They have a six foot wing span so they are a majestic bird; they glide through the air only flapping their wings when needed. When they do flap their wings it is a low whooshing sound.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You have reminded me of the day one was hit by a car in my area. I mustve drawn the short straw that morning at coffee, because I was instructed to go rescue it.

As it emptied it's entire digestive system on me, I realized the stories I had heard were true. Vulture got to sit in his crate, while I showered and changed clothes. I figured he didn't have anything more to hurl at me from any of it's body orofices, so I would have time to get him settled and I could stay reasonably clean for a short while. :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Marge Piercy, one of my favorite poets, wrote about that in a poem once, about how the vulture uses that to protect itself "the stark will to disgust."

I looked on-line, but I couldn't find the poem, because I don't remember the title.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Gross having one toss on you, we know what they eat.

Marlin their wings and body is nice but they have a face a mother would have a hard time loving.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”