newtothisnj

best way to keep animals out?

Just looking for some advice on what to do about animals. I have rabbits deer groundhogs wild turkey. All around where I live just looking for tips to keeping them all out.

Ben

applestar
Mod

That would be discussed in this forum:

Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind
For discussion of getting along with wildlife species that are native to your garden, including beneficial birds, insects and other animals that will help in creating a garden that is harmonious with your environment. Discussions about co-existing with deer, rabbits, and rodents are also welcome!

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

Usually after various tales of woe and inevitable few "permanent" solutions, with a few exceptions, success stories all agree on fencing the garden and/or entire yard. But different critter requires different appropriate fence material, so read on! :wink:

newtothisnj

Thank you

treehopper

I can only speak to deer, I had good luck for a couple years with a scarecrow I made using old vcr tape for "arms" (40-50 lengths per arm), but eventually, they got used to it...I switched up to the motion sensing scarecrow sprinkler...so far so good, but they test it every night, and the first time your battery fails, they're right there to take anything you got on the buffet. The motion sensor is extremely sensative, small dogs etc. so I can only assume rabbits and turkey would easily be detected.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I think a fence is the best way. Still not bulletproof though. Most say to bury the fence for burrowing animal like rabbits etc. But if there is another food source near by they normally will go there than dig under a fence, normally. Deer can jump a fence easier than we can step up on a curb. So all you can do is try and hope they go elsewhere as well.

Other things to do along with a fence is to use scented deterrents like human hair or any other meat eating animals hair like dog that is if you don't feed them an awful food made mostly with grain. Hot peppers sprays can help too I hear. There are many things to try. Finding what works in your situation may take a few times.

All I have is a fence. But the deer don't come round here and my dog helps keep the rabbits in check. Very few squirrels as well, the only thing that will keep them out is a cage with a roof.

Do a search on here or Goggle there is a ton of info out there on this subject.

Good luck.

brandon558
Cool Member

my garden is right by the house and I live in a neighborhood community and we have tons of deer. Now that being said it really isnt the place to put up a 8' deer fence.

Last year I tryed several differnt deer away products...raw eggs, human hair, ect. I even tryed the radio but couldnt put it too loud.

What I did is took some garden stakes (the green ones) and put one every 6ft or so around the garden. I went to the Lowes in the picture haning and hardware department and got a couple 100' rolls of thin but not too thin wire. I put two to three strands between each stake and made a fence. Get the wire as tight as you can..then if its not tight enough you can take zip ties and tighten it up to the stake. Sure deer could jump it but I have found in my area that once they realize you cant just walk in...they leave it alone. Thats my experience only. I'm knocking on wood as of now, but that has worked for me and it was cheap.

As for turkeys...I wouldnt worry so much about them if you have any sort of fence up.

Rabbits and other small game you could use mesh netting, chicken wire, ect around the bottom of the stakes and then run you some wire on the upper portion for deer and such.

good luck

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Did the deer try and walk threw the wire? I have some T post set up 2 three feet apart.
Around my garden and am going to try twine. I'm wondering if they will chew threw it or just walk threw it. People said deer can jump high but not wide.

webmaster
Site Admin

Hey treehopper, nice tip! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=249232#249232

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”