superschwein22
Cool Member

Wildlife feeders

My friend bought me the bungee squirrel feeder and I was wondering whether anybody had any experience with these. I do have many birds in my yard and want to keep the squirrels away from the bird feeder.

Also, do any of you have butterfly houses in your gardens? If so which ones and how do they work for you? I was looking to purchase one in the spring and really like the wooden ones that stand on the ground. I think it would look really nice incorporated into my flowers.

superschwein22
Cool Member

Lol, that makes sense, as, clearly, they attracted ME. I thought that maybe it would give them shelter at night. I am paying close attention to what plants and flowers to select based on the butterflies' needs and wants. This past season was my first here and I had just started the whole gardening thing and the very few plants I got really seemed to have made a difference. I felt like I had so many butterflies. So, in my head I have this great vision of just being THE place for butterflies next season, lol. But good to know that I shouldn't get my hopes up regarding the house for them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did have a butterfly house for a couple seasons, but I never saw any butterflies use it.

The bungee squirrel feeder and other similar things, like the corncob wheel feeder

https://compare.ebay.com/like/250942214969?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

will provide you with lots of entertainment, but it won't really keep the squirrels away from your bird seed. If you have more than one or two squirrels, they have plenty of time in their day to play with the corn cob feeders and still eat the bird seed. :) Squirrels will dispose of whatever amount of food is out there, because they store a lot of it away for winter.

You need squirrel proof bird feeders, like this:

[url=https://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=squirrel+proof+bird+feeder&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14296385049559613305&sa=X&ei=7r8PT8u8Gunf0QG_9fj_Ag&ved=0CKcBEPMCMAI#ps-sellers]squirrel proof feeder[/url]

The cage around the feeder keeps squirrels and large nuisance birds like starlings and grackles away from the bird seed.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”