john gault
Green Thumb

Morning Glory "worms"

Today I was noticing that my morning glories have seed pods, (first year growing them) as I was breaking them open I noticed that a couple pods had a little white worm (some type of larva) sucking on an individual seed. It was completely white and probably about 3-5mm long.

I don't have a pic, just any good guesses what it might be? Not concerned, just curious.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I would have to guess and say whitefly or a moth from your area. The flying insect being attracted by the scent while laying eggs on the bloom. The bloom in return becoming the seedpod in given time turning papery brown and brittle thus giving time in becoming a larvae. Game of survival.
Interesting about the "worm", in Greek ipomoea(morning glory) finds their term means "worm"
.....Morning glories re-seed themselves and will spread to different planting areas possibly by wind. I couldn't expect birds or mice being the seed travelers for the seeds are poison, giving upset stomach pain, and are known for being hallucinogens.

Perhaps other gardeners will have a better answer for you.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Be careful with morning glories or you whole garden will be over run wih vines. The seeds go everywhere and the plants sprout all summer.Cold weather does not kill the seeds! They choke off everything that grow even tomatoes!. They are nice in the right place but be careful! They are my nightmare every year since 10 years ago I started them!

Red Wasp
Newly Registered

I also found a couple of grubs in my Morning Glory seeds but I need to know how to get rid of them easily, will Epsom salt or Vinegar work? I prefer not to use chemicals and plan to try to sell some seeds for the first time.

applestar
Mod

Without looking up anything— so pure guess on my part — but my first thought was if the good seeds sink immediately and eaten seeds float, then that would be the first step to separate them.

Good seeds won’t be harmed for saving if you drain and dry them immediately.

Once dry keep them dusted with food grade diatomaceous earth.

2 other vague ideas —

(1) fumigate them with something relatively benign like alcohol or chlorine fumes by elevating the seeds in basket or strainer… or maybe Ozone-generator

(2) IF these big seeds are good subjects for hot water pasteurization against disease microbes, the process may also kill the pests? This can be done relatively easily with a sous vide set up, but need to look up proper temperatures and immersion time for these particular seeds

…if you mean while the seeds are still developing, you really need to find out what the pests are and whether the flowers need to be properly pollinated by insects to form seeds, and at what point the eggs were laid….

imafan26
Mod

Morning glory is a weed here that will quickly go out of control.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”