john gault
Green Thumb

Help identifying, it's a beetle of some sort -- pretty big

I found this headed to my garden. Is that a bad thing?

The first pic is of just him; the second pic is him next to a quater for scale and the third is him upside down.

https://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/76gunner/Bug%20ID/

applestar
Mod

You folks in the far southern states like Florida, Louisiana, Texas have bugs that are bigger and stranger than I can even imagine. Sorry I can't help, but I'm sure someone else can. :wink:

john gault
Green Thumb

I just posted a pic of it on bugguide.net

I'm sure they can ID it.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Yeah, beats me. I looked around on the net last night and saw nothing like it. The snout is weevilish, but it's too big to be a weevil of any kind. Red and black beetles googled gives me nothing with that pattern. The proboscis is not a good indicator of garden friendly bugs. Of course, maybe it's used to skewer tomato hornworms or something...

Our bugs are just generally really healthy, somewhat trainable to a leash, but rarely respond when you call them. A Miami bug could be an alien hitchhiker, from fruit or cruise ships or smuggelled plant matter.

john gault
Green Thumb

thanrose wrote:Yeah, beats me. I looked around on the net last night and saw nothing like it. The snout is weevilish, but it's too big to be a weevil of any kind. Red and black beetles googled gives me nothing with that pattern. The proboscis is not a good indicator of garden friendly bugs. Of course, maybe it's used to skewer tomato hornworms or something...

Our bugs are just generally really healthy, somewhat trainable to a leash, but rarely respond when you call them. A Miami bug could be an alien hitchhiker, from fruit or cruise ships or smuggelled plant matter.
Actually you're right. It's a weevil, which is in the beetle family. Palmetto Weevil to be exact. And since I really don't care for palmetto trees -- they devistate the palmetto trees -- I'm glad I spared his life. They're native to Florida https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/palmetto_weevil.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTjFmXXRlGg

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yep, weevils come in all sizes - there are species I've seen in the tropics up to about 3".

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Heck, there's one in Enterprise Alabama that could feed a family of ten...

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I think it is Ringo.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”