tomf
Super Green Thumb

Bat in the house last night.

I was up late and saw a bat flying around inside my house. I opened a door and chased it out side. I do not know how it got in but my crazy cat wanted to get it, it was good entertainment for her.

My cat has never killed any thing but thinks ever animal is a toy.

mtmickey

Glad the cat didn't get it! Bats are great critters. For future reference, one of the easiest ways to get a bat out of your house is to turn off all lights, open the door or window and lead the bat to the open door by shining a flashlight from the bat to the open door. Works great!!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Wow. :shock:

Bats can be carriers of rabies, and it's possible for a human or a four-foot to be bitten/scratched/exposed to rabies by a bat and not know it. Is your cat's rabies protection up to date? (Sounds like this kitty *needs* it! :!:) Monitor yourself, too; check the [url=https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/contact/index.html]CDC[/url] for their recommended protocols re. possible bat exposure.

Otherwise, be glad there are bats on your property! Good insect controllers, they are. They don't seem to like my part of the Bay Area; too close to sea water? too low in elevation? something, anyway....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

nofeargardener

We had a little blackbird get into the house once. I literally let out a big "baaawkk." Scared me! Can't imagine what sound I'd make if I was surprised by a bat.

Those bats can get into the smallest gap or hole in your siding. Tricky lil buggers! Make sure to fill them (the gaps & cracks). I've used caulk and/or expanding foam.

organicgardenerswife

Talking about bats in the house brings back memories of when I was young. My bedroom was next to the attic door. There was a 1 inch crack under the attic door. I do not remember how often I had a bat in my room in the middle of the night, but it happened at least half a dozen times.

It still gives me the creeps when I think about it. I would wake up, not really knowing what woke me. My room was pitch dark and then I would hear a rustling of wings as the bat flew overhead. I would pull the covers over my head and lay there until I got the nerve to reach out and turn on the light.

Then I would run downstairs and wake up my parents and they would come upstairs with a broom and the garden rake, LOL, and try to find the bat, which by this time had found a crack to hide in because the light was on in the room.

After this happened several times we finally decided to try to close up the crack under the attic door by nailing a strip there. It worked! After that I had no more bats in my room, thank goodness! :D

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”