gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Probably shouldn't be posting this.........

I might jinx myself. But I have not had too many problems with pest this year. Last year was terrible. This year I have the lizards getting bigger always in my garden and a lot of the time there may be 15+ birds in my garden and they are not eating my veggies that I can tell. I think they are eating the bugs. I have seen half eaten beetles, on the tops of leaves, of this and that type when I shoo the birds away to make sure they are not eating my crops. Not too mention the ladybugs. Other than that I haven't seen too much of anything this year.

But the good guy's seem to have back this year. Let's hope it continues. :D

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

It would be nice if we could teach the birds not to eat red than the lady bugs would be safe! I have some bugs but am going to try a garlic tomato leaf spray saturday! I woud like to put about 50 small toads in my garden! Where can I buy toads?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds great gixx... I think that's what we are all aiming for, a garden that is in balance. There will always be some pests, but there are also controls for them, so they never turn into a destructive infestation, wiping out any crops. Good work!

I write about soap sprays and garlic pepper sprays in answer to people with questions about infestations, but I haven't actually used anything like that for at least several years, because my garden is chugging along like yours, with lots of birds, lizards, beneficial insects, trap crops (I.e. weeds that bugs like better than my food plants). Whenever I see a weed that's been all eaten up, I leave it and some of its buddies, because that's a sign that bugs are eating it, not the plants I want.

Ain't Nature grand!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes it is grand RBG! :flower:

Bobberman reminded me of the frogs and toads that prevalent as well, and the ladybugs and other beneficial bugs, RBG reminded me of the strategically place trap crops I have as well.

All is in sync and doing great. As long as my garden can make it through this heat/drought.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”