Darth Oblio

Dealing with wildlife - milk crates

In a half-acre garden that is open to the depradations of rabbits, ground squirrels, gophers, peacocks and other assorted raiders. I had just about given up growing any food there and have been concentrating on planting native medicinals and ornamentals that aren't bothered by wildlife. Then I had an idea. For tomatoes and peppers, I bury a milk crate about 6" deep in the soil, and erect a chicken-wire cage above that. The milk crate allows the roots to penetrate into the ground, but gophers can't burrow up to the roots and crown. Even the ones without wire cages seem to repel rabbits - I think they feel too confined when they hop up into the crate with the plant. So far so good...thought I'd pass it along.

Texas.girl
Cool Member

I have thought about using milk crates too. The previous owners of this 20 acre property left a few milk crates lying around. Due to the TX drought, everything is up for grabs. Last week I discovered someone ate the young green shoots from the center of my baby yucca plant. I have been thinking of just sitting the egg crate over the yucca plant to make it harder for the critters to get to the plant until it gets bigger and established.

Alicemae

Texas.girl wrote:I have thought about using milk crates too. The previous owners of this 20 acre property left a few milk crates lying around. Due to the TX drought, everything is up for grabs. Last week I discovered someone ate the young green shoots from the center of my baby yucca plant. I have been thinking of just sitting the egg crate over the yucca plant to make it harder for the critters to get to the plant until it gets bigger and established.

Well now it's July already! Been watching national weather and you Texas folks are taking a heat/drought beating. I pray for rain for you!

Anyway, about your milk crate ideas - great! But, what if you have 30 or 40 or more plants?

What I've found to be much less work and expense is saving all of your giant plastic juice containers, milk cartons, gallon water jugs, etc. Cut off the bottoms and they not only protect but serve as a mini greenhouse as well!! (In some cases you do need a bit more size.) I do it, it works - try it!!

Texas.girl
Cool Member

I am glad your bottle idea is working for you. Fortunately I only have one yucca plant to protect. It was 106 yesterday and heading that way today. Last thing my plants want is a green house. They would be fried. We are in desperate need of rain. One reason it has been over 100 here since May is due to no rain, ground is dry, dry, dry. Thanks for the prayers for rain. Pretty bad here.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”