BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Introducing Bug Eating Nature.

Ok so here is my problem. I have earwigs... tons and tons of them that are becoming a real problem in my garden. I see them come up from the dirt when I water. I don't want to use poison or anything that will hurt *any* of my plants as they are much to dear to me to lose them to something man made.

I really have just been considering introducing more natural things to my garden that eat bugs like earwigs. We have tons of birds.. but we still have tons of bugs.. we even have lizards in our back yard but I still feel like the insects are just taking over. Would introducing toads or frogs help? The only problem there would be cats... we have tons of cats roaming the neighborhood as well ....

I'm incredibly squeemish about insects and can't even stand the thought of having to kill them myself. Some say use wet newspaper lol but I wouldn't have the guts to pick up the newspaper haha! I really am at my wits end on what to do but my plants are being eaten alive and I can't get any enjoyment out of the blooms if they are being eaten before I even get to see them :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Earwigs sometimes damage seedlings, but in the long run, they're garden helpers. Have you read the thread below?

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193924#193924

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”