gallum90

problems with rabbits...new solution!

I found that rabbits tend to ruin my plants and one of my friends sugested something that seems a bit mean....eliminate them

so I was like awwww but then I baught a benjamin pellet pistol air pumped and and put a fence around my garden with traps and such rabbit proofed it...and for the rabbits taht did not go in the traps the pellet pistol worked gr8

but to some people this sounds cruel and if you don't like the idea I recomend not doing it...but it worked for me

thanks,
gallum90

GreenBayMike

Poor rabbit. Not!

Anything that will improve your marksmanship and practice, I am all for it. I don't blame you one bit. 8)

Besides, they are just rodents. Cuter than most, but rodents nonetheless.

webmaster
Site Admin

I doubt you are accomplishing much by shooting rabbits because you aren't going to dent their populations. Where are the predators like owls, coyotes, and foxes? Is there anything you can do to encourage owls and other raptors to roost nearby?

Do you have loose brush or logs nearby that are attracting rabbits?

There is good advice over here on dealing with rabbits:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2692

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Also, try spreading ground black pepper around to detur the rabbits from eating your plants. Another option is one the the sprinlers that shoots a jet of water at any animal (or human animal) that comes into your yard. Seem to work quite well.

gallum90

I kinda live in a city where there is little no predator life if I could get a way to lure in hawks that would be awesome...could I use a rabbit as bait? like they do for deep sea fishing

GreenBayMike

Claymore mines seem to always do the trick, but then you may be attracting police, instead of hawks...

I like the automated sprinkler deterant idea.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Using a rabbit as bait to attract predators would not be considered an ethical way this. If there are rabbits in your area, hawks, eagles and other animals will be attracted to the region.

I think that our webmaster has directed you to a site that gives information on landscape design that helps to attract predators, if rabbits are a problem in your area, I would contact the city officials or if you have such an organization, the SPCA.

Rabbits are often introduced to local areas and can be an invasive species and wreak havoc on local ecosystems but, there are safe and environmentally friendly ways of dealing with rabbits.
Last edited by opabinia51 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin

Cotton tail rabbits are prevalent in Wisconsin. It's strange that you have them in an urban area, although perhaps it's not so urban as say New York City or Boston.

I used to live in Santa Fe, New Mexico and there were quite a lot of rabbits but they were kept in check by owls and coyotes. You may want to contact a local wildlife official or a university about programs for introducing hawks and other predators into an area. I know they exist for Wisconsin.

The [url=https://www.raptorresource.org/recovery.htm]Raptor Resource Project[/url] has released some falcons into Wisconsin. You may also want to get in touch with people at the [url=https://www.raptorresearch.com]Linwood Springs Raptor Research Center[/url] and see what can be done to introduce raptors into your area. Even if they can't assist you, they may still be able to point you in the right direction.

This kind of problem happens when there is an imbalance in the ecosystem. The only real solution is to bring it back into balance. Which is why many of us promote gardening with plants that are native to your area.

Good luck!
:)

GreenBayMike

Yes agreed. Balance has been lost in a lot of urban areas and suburbs. Come to think of it, I guess I am fortunate to have spotted a couple of golden eagles near my house here in Green Bay, WI and I saw a hawk in my yard just the other day. Perched on the fence, eating a rodent. :D

The best is when I drive to Wausau once a month or so. I spot a bald eagle flying around almost every single time I drive out there. :shock:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Years ago I was fishing for salmon just North of a spot called Big Bay ( a tiny little community (if you could even call it that) on the west coast of BC) and the guide was telling us that the day before, this fallen tree on the beach was white because of all the bald eagles on it. Must have been quite a site.

My university is infested with rabbits (that are all introduced from the local pet population) and I often see hawks and eagles going after them. This is a problem that needs to be dealt with because they do wreak havoc on the Garry Oak ecosystems but, there are safe and effective ways of doing this.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”