applestar
Mod

Pollinator Conservation

From this post on https://www.monarchwatch.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2499&view=unread#p12367
'Pollinator Conservation: Roadsides
https://www.xerces.org/pollinator-conservation-roadsides/
With more than 10 million acres of land in roadsides in the United States alone, transportation rights-of-way are a significant, yet often overlooked, resource for pollinator conservation. In landscapes denuded of natural areas by large scale agriculture or urbanization, roadsides are an increasingly important component of regional habitat networks. They frequently support native vegetation, providing refuge for wildlife and connecting fragmented habitat. The wildlife living on roadsides touches communities in every state, province, and county of North America.
Pollinators and Roadsides: Managing Roadsides for Bees and Butterflies
https://www.xerces.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/roadside-guidelines_xerces-society1.pdf
provides a concise overview of the conservation potential of roadside habitat and offers practical information on how to maximize the value of these areas for pollinators while meeting basic traffic safety requirements.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The route I drive to work, a little piece of the roadside is set aside as no-mow, wildflower conservation area, with lots of ironweed and other wildflowers. A couple weeks ago as I was driving past, I saw an adult wild turkey and two babies.

I think it works!

microcollie
Green Thumb

Have I ever mentioned that grassy lawns are my pet peeve :oops:

I would love to find a way to convince local/state/national governments to stop planting grass next to roadways. All the mowing and maintenance is crazy. Sure seems lika a no-brainer that our roadsides could just go natural.

I would question, however, how to keep larger, land-borne wildlife from accessing the same areas. Where there's insects and foliage, there's bound to be deer, skunks, raccoons, etc. (It's also amazing and unfortunate how many pollenators end up stuck to the grills of passing cars. :(

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's pretty wild out where I am so I don't think the pollinators have much of a problem.

But even in major highway areas there are a lot of "Prairie Rehab" sections where they must be kept wild. MO is pretty good on the whole of conservation. You see it everywhere. :D

nebraskannie

They mow them here about halfway through the season for "weed control". Then in the fall for snow control. I understand the snow thing, because where people don't mow along their groves we can't get out of our road in the winter because the snow catches and piles up. Not that I mind getting snowed in! LOL

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”