Page 1 of 1

Bug Identification?

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:15 pm
by Richee
Does anybody know what kind of bug this is?

I had one appear in my kitchen window where I have some plants. It always stays on the curtains, doing whatever it does.

When I disturb it, he just flies around to another part of the window, then waves his front feet in the air.. I guess trying to determine what I am.

I didn't think he was a problem, so I let him stay in the window.

About 3 days later, another one appeared. They stay in the window during the day, then inside the lampshades at night when the lights are on.

They never bother me, and don't seem to like the light of my computer monitor since I never see them flying around it.

About a week and a half since I saw the first one, I now have 4 of them in my kitchen window. I would like to know what kind of bug they are, and if I should begin to get rid of them from my house.

They almost look like flying ants, but their body is different, as they have real tall legs.. and they almost look like a dragon fly body from the side. Their rear ends come down to a point.. which makes me wonder if a stinger is present.

They don't appear to be aggressive, and like to stay away from me.

I don't mind them staying if they eat bugs, and won't over populate in my house. If I get too many of them showing up, I will have to get rid of them.

If you know what they are, let me know.





Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:06 pm
by microcollie
It looks like a long-legged fly (who would have given it such a name) Sorry, but I don't know the true latin name. (I actually think that there are a lot of species that fall under that heading)

They're one of the good guys, feeding on mites, aphids, etc. (both as larvae and adults). Not sure why they'd be in your house, but might not be a bad guy to have around if you're going to overwinter anything inside.

By the way, that's not a stinger. The males are, ahem, well endowed. :shock:

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:19 pm
by Kisal
It's a [url=]Stilt-legged Fly[/url]. :)

There actually is a group of flies called "Longlegged flies", but they're a different family. :)

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:33 pm
by Richee
Wow, thanks guys! :D

I do have some Cherry Tomatoes in the windowsill here, who have a few 'white flies' on them.. maybe that's why they're here.. to eat them?