applestar
Mod

RED SPOTTED PURPLES, et. al. are enjoying the plums

This morning, I looked up when a plum dropped, expecting to see the usual squirrels, and saw a chipmunk up in the plum tree, looking like a tiny squirrel himself.

I finished the 2nd batch of plum syrup I had extracted for 10 days with sugar -- by boiling and waterbath canning. 2 more 12-oz jars in the cupboard, plus a little more added to the open jar in the fridge. The shriveled plums are like soft prunes. 1/2 went in the fridge in a jar, the other 1/2 in the dehydrator to toughen up a little bit and be more chewy. :wink:

I asked my older DD to go out and pick some more ripe plums as I'm experimenting with making Japanese umeboshi with these European plums. DD went willingly, wanting me to make more plum syrup and prunes. When I went outside to see how she was doing, she and younger DD, who was helping, were entranced: It turned out that Spicebush Swallowtails had discovered the squirrel (and chipmunk!)-dropped spoiling plums on the ground and in the branches. Gorgeous black wings with splashes of bluest BLUE, fluttering all around, some engaged in aerial mating dances. There were also Black Swallowtails interweaving.

"It's SO peaceful under the plum tree!" DD exclaimed in a hushed voice, with glowing eyes. :D
Last edited by applestar on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
"It's SO peaceful under the plum tree!" DD exclaimed in a hushed voice, with glowing eyes. :D
Thanks for that story. I needed that. 8)

applestar
Mod

We finally tried netting one of the black butterflies because they just didn't quite look right. ...and sure enough, they didn't have "tails". After some additional research, we were able to positively ID them as Red Spotted Purple. they are still dancing away under the plum trees. :()

Red Spotted Purples' larval host plants are Willows, Poplars, and Wild Cherries. 8)

Yesterday, I took some of the Plum Syrup to share with a friend and her family. She wanted to try it right away, so I instructed her to mix it 1:5 with water and add ice. She took one sip and then another, and she told me how much she loved it. During the entire visit, she must have made herself several more, and I realized she hadn't given her children any. I couldn't help teasing her that she wasn't sharing.... :lol:

I started a new batch of plum syrup -- and the extracted "prunes" -- today. My kids basically ate right through the last batch as snacks 2~3 per day 8) :D

applestar
Mod

The Red Spotted Purples are back visiting the spoiled plums on the trees and on the ground. :D Gorgeous black butterflies with enormous iridescent tropical blue band on the hindwing. ...Maybe THIS year, I'll be able to take some photos. 8)

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”