Daniel-san
Newly Registered

Cankerworm question???

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm looking forward to learning from you're all and contributing as much as I can. :D

I posted this question in the JG forum too. I was wondering if anyone knows if cankerworms defoliate Acer palmatum Bloodgood and Prunus yeodonis Yoshino trees?

The reason for my concern is that we just built a house on a lot that has several mature Norway maples around the perimeter of the property and they are badly eaten by cankerworms this year. :cry:

I would love to plant an Acer palmatum "Bloodgood" and a Prunus yeodonis "Yoshino", but I don't know what to do about our cankerworm problem.

Are these trees on their menu, if so, is there any natural enemies or chemical control I should look into?

Thanks!

decam0

Hi Daniel

I'm no expert on cankerworms, but if your Norway maples - otherwise known as Acer platenoides(?) - are these insects' favourite meal, then it seems to me that no Acers will be safe.

Delia

Daniel-san
Newly Registered

decam0 wrote:Hi Daniel

I'm no expert on cankerworms, but if your Norway maples - otherwise known as Acer platenoides(?) - are these insects' favourite meal, then it seems to me that no Acers will be safe.

Delia
Yes deamo0, you're correct. They are Acer platenoides. Do you have them in England? They're beautiful trees if there not half eaten. I'm afraid you may be right about there taste for Acers. I need to find out how I can be proactive about this.

Cheers mate :lol: ,
Daniel-san

decam0

Hi again Daniel
Yes, we do have them in England, and though they're native to Europe from Norway southwards, they're not native to Britain. Our town council planted hundreds of them when the town was being developed, and they're stunning when in flower in the spring, and when they change colour in the autumn.
I hope you get your problem sorted out.
Delia

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”