zil
Newly Registered

Small scale permaculture

I am looking for some help in creating a permaculture garden in an urban rowhouse environment. I am very lucky in that we have garden space both front and back - about 60x16 in the back and about 40ft in front, although a large area in the front is paved with bluestone. I have never had a garden before, and also, since I grew up in the UK am not familiar with the local plants (we are in the NY/NJ meto area) or climate. So all advice is greatly appreciated!

To start with the front, which is the most easily accessible: The front gets sun from the south and west. There are 2 areas of soil, one around a huge black locust tree, and then a patch of about 10x14ft that gets a lot of sun. I am thinking of growing the majority of my fruit and veg in the back as the front is close to a busy road and gets a lot of exhaust fumes as well as rubbish blown and thrown into it (not too appetizing!) My thoughts so far were to create a guild centred around the black locust including clover, rye, yarrow, dill and fennel, and then in the larger area of soil create a herb spiral about 5ft in diameter, and a rockery to catch water and shelter snakes and other animals. I already have planted a buddhlia along the front fence and was planning to add a couple of rosa rugosa to attract birds and insects and screen the street a little. The inbetween areas I was planning to fill with inesct attracting flowers and possibly some edible companion plants.

Opabinia51 had suggested that if I am going to include a water catching rockery I should provide some shade trees such as cedars. Given that the black locust is already so big, if I plant a cedar will I end up with too much shade? So many of the flowers I have looked at seem to need full sun? Also is there any rule of thumb that tells you how roughly how many different plants you can plant in a certain amount of space?

I am sure these are only the beginnings of my questions! I would love to hear the thoughts of you experienced gardeners out there!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm sure that some people out there have experience with permaculture other than me, what do you think?

I will reccommend that you read Gaia's Garden by Jon Hemenway and there are other good books out there on the topic. I have found this book both at the local library and at books stores. Never can have to much information.

Anonymous

I go along with the idea that you can never have tooooo much information. I can recommend Linda Woodrows Home Permaculture Garden book, you could follow the basic ideas and blend them into your climate, for example a worm farm for your workmen... :D and companion planting is a great idea of producing both flowers and edible vegetables...I'm going for heirloom vegetables and heritage trees but I live in the southern hemisphere..sorry but the book has great ideas and inspirations. Suzi

Anonymous

:D I'ts me again, I was thinking how my partner & I went about researching ideas for our 'plot' lots of library searches, then we hit book the second hand book stores they have some great books on this. I have Organic Gardening by John Fedor which is a good guide for plants, trees & vegetables. I use a note book for interesting handy hints..retentive I know..but how else will you remember?? I hope this is helpful.
:oops: Suzi..

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Suzi, thanks for the information.

In the organic forum their is a companion plant list as well as beneficial insect list with plants that attract the various insects.

Anonymous

:D The other important things to mention... :wink: is everyday be aware of the little things..where does your rain water run off, where is the sun.Find the dry & wet areas of your plot. How far are you going to have to walk to get things?? that sort of thing.
I have found leaving the paddocks alone for the end of summer, autumn & winter I have a better idea of these things. I have drawn a plan of the exsisting paddock marking undulating slopes,dips, ridges, trees & buildings as they all stand now. I have also got a year planner on the wall in the hall way and everyday I make a note of the weather patterns & how many eggs we get. :lol:
Reading different peoples trails & errors helps give an overall view in your mind which you can ponder on. Hope this helps..Suzi

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”