lynnec
Newly Registered

Gardening in bear country

We are building our first home on the border of the Catskill Park (NY).
My husband said we will not be able to plant a garden because it will attract bears to our property. Neighbors had bear problems due to bird seed in their feeders. Any rural gardeners out there have any advice? :?

Fermented

Well first....your bears are what I call Park bears. They've learned that people have tasty stuff. There is not much more dangerous in our rural areas than a Park bear because of that.

You bought some land in a bears territory, it's going to check out everything. I've seen them walk across our deck. A bird feeder is constantly refilled so sure it could attract a bear. A veggie garden sure could be attractive, but once it's destroyed the bear won't come back until it is replanted. Bears love plum trees, they can eat a few and more will be ripe tomorrow, you could say the same for all fruit trees and berry bushes.

I grew up in bear country. We always had a big garden. The bear preferred the plum trees. I've seen bear eat a 5 gallon can of axle grease instead of the veggies five feet away.

Sure a garden will attract bear. So will anything else you do. If you are going to invaid their space, get use to seeing them around, you may as well give the bear a name. What you plant or build is your choice, but a bear will check it out.

decam0

Bears...wow!
I thought I had problems with rabbits!
Delia - England[/u]

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”