planter

%$# House Wrens!!

When are these guys gonna move on. I have work to do and all they do is scold me. Hate to fire up the chainsaw when the babies are still in the box but I have stuff to plant!! Thats what I get I guess. :) :(

applestar
Mod

:lol: I let one flower bed get COMPLETELY weedy while the babies were in the nest gourd, though I did sneak up one time because I couldn't STAND it, and also took the opportunity to peek in the hole. 8) After they fledged, I finally got to weed the bed and plant a flower that had been waiting in the sidelines to go in the ground. :lol:

Now, they (or another couple) have moved into a nest box on the fence post right next to the ripening raspberries. :roll:

applestar
Mod

:lol: Yesterday, I was looking for raspberries, and slowly became aware of "something" growling nearby.... It was a cute little growl, high pitched, but a growl non-the-less. Then I remembered that I hadn't heard the wren singing for the last few minutes :roll: I looked up and there he was, on top of a fence post, making growling noises in his throat. :lol:

What was even funnier was that when I said "Ok, OK! I'm leaving!" and started away, he burst into song like he was declaring himself the winner! :lol: :lol:

planter

If the antics of the Wren don't make you at least crack a grin then somethings wrong. I get as much pleasure out of the birds in the yard as I do the trees and flowers. :). It makes the garden complete. I even enjoy the chipmunks and squirells and even the deer although our relationship does take a turn come fall. :wink:
I have not looked it up but the screech owls must nest and fledge early. They were great fun but have already moved on cause they are long gone. I'm guessing they are in/on the nest even before the trees leaf out. The early season picking must be easier. :?

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”