Tyler

Could my Dog's "Scent" be Keeping Critters Away?

I live in the mountains and have seen many rabbits and some chipmunks. I've planted all kinds of things including sunflowers and glads, but nothing has ever been touched. Not even a nibble on fresh new baby leaves. My garden is huge and on 3 sides of my house. I have 4 dogs who live inside but go potty outside. Do you think my dogs urine is keeping critters away? Tyler

Grey
Greener Thumb

They might be. Or maybe your garden hasn't been discovered yet. I had no problems with squirrels for three years... until they got hungry enough to eat anything, and would sneak to the garden even if the dogs were OUTSIDE.

So just pray they never find out how good your garden is!

Fermented

It's kinda like a new bird feeder, if you build it they will come. Dogs just add entertainment value for critters. :lol:

We'e had so much rain, our garden is fluorishing. We have a lot of vegetation on our property that the deer usually eat and stay out of our garden. Last week the deer mowed down all the corn, green beans, lettuce, and even trimmed back my tomatoes. There's a lot they didn't eat, but this year I'll have more time to work on our cottage instead.

During the day we watch the baby deer chase each other like puppies, while their mom watches us. Then the lights go down, and they move in.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Fermented, you might want to consider a deer fence for the veggie garden.

Newt

Fermented

I did look into it at some point, but the local landscape company I consulted believes deer will just contually bump them until they fall :x . It also creates a wonderful high perch for the birds to find their next meal from. Around here deer fence is used to protect apple orchards, ornamental trees etc.

Deer prevention here is accomplished with dried blood, milorganite, and anything else smelly and good. This year is ABNORMAL with all the rain we have had. It's been difficult to prevent smelly products from washing away.........but I've promoted a lot of growth. :)

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”