applestar
Mod

Garden was full of activity today... and a HUMMINGBIRD!

I LOVE early weekday afternoons when none of the neighbors are inclined to work on their yard. No lawn mowers, no gas trimmers, blowers, edgers, and no loud radio station music that for some reason they turn on just BEFORE they start the aforementioned noise-makers (so THEY can't hear the radio anyhow :roll:).

All the birds and animals were out today:
‣ Three baby robins that hardly fit together in their nest clamoring for attention in the honeysuckle trellis by the gate
‣ House sparrow babies in the birdhouse
‣ House wren babies in the gourd birdhouse with the almost incessant trilling of the male
‣ Another House wren male enticing females to come inspect his nests
‣ Robins bathing in the rice paddies
‣ Robins and Grackles tossing leaves and mulch around hunting for worms and hopefully slugs/snails
‣ Tufted Titmouse successfully hunting down some bug from the apricot tree
‣ Chipmunks cavorting
‣ Squirrels racing through the trees
‣ Robins trying to steal our strawberries,
‣ Mole rusting under the leaf mulch right in front of me
‣ Mama Rabbit making a nest under the Serviceberry tree
‣ Grackles chasing off a Turkey vulture overhead
‣ Calls of crows in the sky, strangely reminding me of Ood song (Dr. Who ref.)

Added to these a faint sound that I felt I should recognize but couldn't place -- finally spotted the first Ruby Throated Hummingbird of the year (a male too!) hovering all over the Scarlet Trumpet Honeysuckle in full bloom right outside the Family Room window. I'm thrilled because usually I don't see them until July, and first ones tends to be a juvie or a female.

That Mama Rabbit -- I found her in my New Sunflower& House: She'd found a gap under the gate fence panel. I was so mad, thinking she was eating the sunflower or corn seedlings I chased her out and secured all the fences. Later I saw her gathering grass, not eating, and realized she was making a nest -- watched her take her bundle to the base of the Serviceberry tree. Next she was in my potato patch, gathering up the straw I'd put over the sprouting potato leaves to protect from frost last night. I was afraid she'd bite off the potato leaves in the process, so I decided to give her some hay (I thought hay would be better than straw), [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21761]but my hay bale was good and spoiled (Yeah!)[/url]. Instead, I got her a flake from the straw stored to keep from getting moldy and left it on the ground near her nest. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wonderful, wonderful. What a beautiful day!

Haven't seen a hummingbird yet, though we have feeder out and I know they are in the area. But the bush honeysuckle is still blooming, so they probably won't come to the feeder yet (or even my trumpet honeysuckle vine!)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You can keep your rabbits.

I have yet to see a hummingbird though they will be back in force as usually soon I hope.

We do have a ton of other birds around though. They love my yard. I have the 2 biggest trees in the subdivision, plus my garden and yard seem to be an all you can eat buffet for worms and whatever else they are finding.

Robins getting your strawberries huh? I might have to put up some row cloth they are just about getting ripe. And mom and dad robin just had 3 kids who are just learning to fly now. Maybe they will leave my berries alone with the endless worms they can eat. I'm just waiting for the yellow finches to start attacking my garden again. Don't they know they are seed eaters, they were drawn to my chard last year for some reason.

applestar
Mod

Well, the kids wanted a pet bunny but DH said no. Ha! Now a wild Mama has moved in. :lol:

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”