giladbr
Newly Registered

How to avoid meeting snakes while working in the garden?

Hello everybody!

My name is Gilad, I'm from the north of Israel and I'm new to this forum.
I want to do some gardening jobs in my garden. Among other reasons, these jobs are meant to prevent snakes, scorpions etc. from appearing there.

My problem is - how, while performing this jobs, can I avoid meeting the snakes? I mean, it's already snake season here and they are out there...

Thanks

Gilad

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Hi Gilad, welcome to the forum. My wife is really taken with another Gilad, also from Israel. She does his total body sculpture exercise at least three days per week.

We seem to have opposite ideas on the snake issue. I keep doing everything that I can to attract them to our yard. I catch the poisonous ones and toss them out in the wet area about a half mile away, but all of the others are welcome residents on our property. We do only have a couple of poisonous varieties of snakes here however, and they are pretty rare. In 30 years I've only seen two or three poisonous snakes on our property.

Do you encounter many poisonous snakes in northern Israel? An article from a quick google suggests that there are few poisonous snakes in the north. The article also has a few tips that you may find of interest.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3086329,00.html

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Like Alex, I, too, do everything I can to attract snakes to my garden. In addition, I caution everyone who comes onto my property that, should they see a snake, they must not disturb it in any way. :)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I do encourage harmless snakes.

But, even though they are non-poisonous, I don't particularly like to pick up a snake with a handul of weeds, etc. :roll:

My suggestion is take a stick or rake and make some noise, and poke and prod all around, not enough to hurt the snakes, but enough to warn them that you are about and that they should relocate for a little while.

I always use a tool to lift objects that could have a snake or scorpion underneath, again, not poisonous, but the fright could make me hurt myself. And lift items away from yourself, then if the critter runs away, it is not running towards your feet. I dance really well when a snake or lizard runs my way. Sorry folks, I don't do well with lizards either, not really afraid of them, but don't want to touch one. :oops:

I am sorry, I am not kind to poisonous snakes, nor black rat snakes (they kill my chickens). Fortunately in 15 years, we only saw 2 that were poisonous. RIP. :twisted:

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Remove any potential homes for the snakes. Clear out any tall grass, remove any upside down tubs or pots, remove excess dead wood, etc. Taking away places for them to hide during the day can help prevent you from seeing them. Once I move in a couple months I'm gonna be seeing a tons of snakes, and that freaks my wife out. But then again, I'm just as likely to see poisonous snakes as non poisonous ones. We've got alot of rattlesnakes around here, so much that we're getting our dogs vaccinated from rattlesnake bites before we move(we're moving from town into the country).

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

One of the poisonous snakes that we found was a pygmy rattler, and there was a diamond back killed in the road. Timber rattlers are common, but I haven't met up with one, yet, Thank God.

The other poisonous one was a copperhead, that didn't bite my knee, in another thread here.

But, I didn't know there was a vaccination, for rattlesnake bites, before you are bit. I knew there is anitvenom available after the fact, but not a vaccine.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Ozark Lady wrote:But, I didn't know there was a vaccination, for rattlesnake bites, before you are bit. I knew there is anitvenom available after the fact, but not a vaccine.
I'm not sure if they have them for humans yet, but they have posters for canine rattle snake vaccinations all over our vet's office. Our vet office also specializes in horses and cattle, so I know they're trying to protect their cattle dogs.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Interesting!

Oh btw, snakes are out. I met up with one the other day in the barn loft while getting down some old hay.

My Great Pyrenees decided to have her pups in the henhouse. I guess she wanted them to grow up being on first name basis with the chickens?

But, that snake could easily eat her new pups, their eyes aren't even open yet, and they also will eat eggs, and kill setting hens. I am not happy to have that snake there.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”