tomf
Super Green Thumb

Elk ate some of my rhododendrons.

I have some rhododendrons in a few areas and I noticed in one area some had been partly eaten, I have never seen the deer eat them so I looked around to see what signs there may be as to who did. Not far from the plants were elk droppings, I asked some one that know about this and he told me that elk love rhododendrons. You plant things that you think the animals will not eat and then some one does. I even planted so called deer resistant plants that the deer are not supposed to eat; some one has to tell them they do not like some of the plants as they do munch on them some. I find flowers from bulbs do not get eaten as much and some flowers do not get eaten at all. We have been placing more bulbs around; they fill in spots real nice also.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The good news is you live somewhere where you have elk! In my experience elk (unlike deer!) have very good taste about where they live and it's always beautiful country.

Zapatay

I have no advice. The simple reference to Elk made me want to read this post.

:)

Can you compost Elk droppings?

(If you ever have a chance to capture an image of your party-crashing Elk, please share)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Tom, have you checked the Western Garden Book? They have some fairly dependable suggestions for deer resistant plants.

Unless elks' food preferences are markedly different than those of other deer, they love rhodies. It's the deer that naturally prune the rhodies that grow in the forests.

I've watched a deer walk along the road eating the daffodils, so I don't know whether bulb plants are necessarily immune to the predations of deer, either. :lol:

applestar
Mod

Aren't Elk(s?) HUGE? :shock: like Moose (I SO want to say Meese :lol:). I saw Moose in Alaska, but I've never seen Elk in person -- only on TV.

I guess you *have* to learn to ID droppings -- so far, as I remember, you've mentioned deer, bear, skunk, and now Elk. 8)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Moose are bigger than elk. A bull moose will stand 6+ feet tall at the shoulder, while a bull elk is about a foot shorter. Cow elks are about 4 1/2 ft. at the shoulder. :)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am going to look up that book kiasl, thanks.
Zapatay the Elk are not around as often as deer but I do hop to get a photo of one in my yard. I have some photos of Elk in Oregon and California all though.
Applestar I have found a number of references on animal droppings and learned to know the differences, you may say I know my Sh--t. :oops: :lol: :roll: I have also seen some MT. lion droppings and claw marks in the woods along with coyote. Coyotes are noise beasts the sound like a pack of dogs when they are hunting.

This is one of the views in my yard rainbowgarderner, I have to say your name brings good thoughts of a nice day out doors.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/_DSC0032b-1.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!! I spend a bunch of money and most of my vacation time coming to see places that look like the view in your yard!

I don't suppose you want to hire a live-in gardener? I'd be glad to live in your garden shed and help take care of things! :)

I was right about the elks having good taste!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Why thanks if you ever come this way I could use a gardener, even a visit. There are some very beautiful places not far from here.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”