GardenGeek
Cool Member

Please answer this-- question re groundhogs

Hey people

Help required :

How can I get rid/keep away groundhogs from my garden?

I have tried the little dynamite sticks, and I wasted my money on them. I also tried traps, but there are too many of them! I also have deer attacking, so I tried the chemicals. Guess what! They didn't work either. Now I am thinking of chicken wire fencing-1 foot underground (for the groundhogs) and 9 feet above ground (for deer). From those who have had experience, will it work?

Please let me know..Thankyou

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

should work. Since I garden mostly in raised beds I just put stakes all around the raised bed and wrap it in deer netting. Tuck the deer netting down into the ground and hold it down with earth staples and/or rocks and pull it together over the top. Tie it together over the top. Works against all the critters, except for the time the raccoons UNTIED the twist ties holding the top together. But groundhogs can't do that. Occasionally the groundhogs are entertaining watching them try to get at the tomatoes inside the deer netting cage.

Course it's more of a pain trying to weed and harvest, have to unwrap the netting and then put it back. But if I didn't do that, I would never taste a single tomato, between groundhogs, raccoons, squirrels, possums, birds and lord knows what all else.... You'd never guess I live 4 miles from downtown!

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”