rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

indoor lady bugs!

It's that time of year when the ladybugs like to come in for the winter. I just noticed a pile of them in a high corner over the front door. Not sure how long they've been there, not a spot I look much, since that's the "company" door :) . Anyway there's probably 50-ish ladybugs all huddled up together in that corner. Assuming I can get a ladder and capture them in a jar, I'd like to move them outdoors. I expect they'd just die there, dry air, no food. If they didn't die, I don't want them hatching out a ton of new ladybugs inside my house.

My question is what is the best spot to move them outdoors, what kind of place do they like to hibernate in (besides wall/ceiling corners)? I'd like to keep them alive to bless my garden next year if possible. Would it be good to tuck them in my compost pile where it's a bit warmer, or would the earthworms and whatever else is in the pile eat them? I have an old butterfly house, that no butterflies ever used. Or tuck them into the leaf mulch in my raised beds? Or any other thoughts?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

A couple of times, I found them overwintering in a hollow in an old tree in my back yard. I wonder if something like an unoccupied bat box would be to their liking? :?:

ETA: Just now noticed that you have a butterfly house that isn't in use. They might like that, if you could put it in a protected corner somewhere, out of the way of the worst of the winter winds.

applestar
Mod

They seem to prefer a dry location. I suppose shed or garage might work. The butterfly and bat houses are both good suggestions, especially if you can put it in a sheltered area like Kisal said.

At least you got ladybugs. I have STINKBUGS trying to get in the house. Found 3 of them INSIDE DD10's jacket the other day -- must have got in the house and decided that was a cozy place to stay. :roll: Luckily *I* found them first, or she would've screamed bloody murder :eek:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good thought about the shed. Don't have a garage, but do have a shed where the lawn mower and other stuff stays. I can try see if I can get them in the butterfly house and then stick it in the shed...

Haven't disturbed them yet. We have out of town company staying with us. I didn't think this was an operation that should be performed in front of company, in case it results in 50 ladybugs flying around the house once I try to move them. :) I'm thinking I may try to capture them in a jar and then (if that step works) put the jar in the bottom of the frig for awhile just to be sure they are slowed down.

Eew, eew! Stinkbugs in the jacket! I'd scream too!

applestar
Mod

I'm thinking if you put that jar in a plastic bag with the butterfly house, close it tight (try to fill with air) and put the whole thing outside in the cold, the ladybugs will seek shelter in the butterfly house. Try to find a clear bag so you can see what's going on -- maybe a dry cleaner cover if you don't have a trash bag (so hard to find clear ones any more -- I like them for storage. I bought some on-line before.)

Good luck getting the 50 ladybugs IN THE JAR first though. (Hmm, would've put an emoticon here, but can't think which is most appropriate -- better drink more caffeine :wink: )

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The bad news is they excrete a pheremone that says "Remember this spot for next year" and others can smell it and congregate (which is how they build to huge winter colonies in the wild, using body mass for heat). So if you don't get rid of the scent, they'll be back...

:idea: Cinnamon has worked for everything else this year... :?: :lol:

HG

AreaCode707

Hmm, maybe this is why I have random ladybugs appearing in my living room right now. I had better check my attic...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Try the cinnamon AC707. It breaks the pheromone trail for ants; stands to reason it might well work for ladybugs as well. Let us know how it turns out.

HG

AreaCode707

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Try the cinnamon AC707. It breaks the pheromone trail for ants; stands to reason it might well work for ladybugs as well. Let us know how it turns out.

HG
Good tip, thanks! My husband makes various extracts; maybe I'll pick up some cinnamon bark and have him make me some oils to use.

stanhorst

I'm curious. Where can I find the cinnamon ac707? We have several cabins in the Virginia mountains, and ladybugs get into two of them every October. Funny thing is--they get into the most modern, and and the one that is a pre-Civil War log cabin! And leave all the rest of the cabins alone.

These are actually the Asian Painted Lady Beetles (I think) that the forest service distributed to take care of gypsy moths. Now the beetles take over in swarms every October. When I say they get into the cabin, they come in by the thousands, particularly the older log cabin.

Thanks in Advance!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, Helpful Gardener (HG) wasn't meaning to be arcane. And he needs one of those life saving lessons in punctuation (I.e. the difference between "let's eat grandmother" and "let's eat, grandmother" :) )

AC707 is a short hand way of referring to the previous poster who goes by the nickname AreaCode707. The sentence was AreaCode707, have you tried the cinnamon? Which could be any old cinnamon you have in your kitchen.

We get too used to talking to each other, it starts to turn into a private language!

stanhorst

Easy to tell I'm a newbie in the forum. :lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Easy to tell I need help with my punctuation... :lol:

Let's eat Grandama... :lol: You slay me, RBG

Here's the thing Stan; you need to break the cycle of the pheromone, and in some other instances (ants) we have seen a pretty significant elimination of pheromone trails with cinnamon (ants use them to leave a trail back to a food source; cinnamon breaks the trail and they leave your pantry alone...)

Stands to reason it would work for the lady bug pheromones as well (although I can smell those and can't smell ants). Worth a try!

If it doesn't work, [url=https://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2619]Gardens Alive[/url]has a trap that uses this principle against them...

HG

stanhorst

Thanks again. BTW, I am very impressed with the speed of the responses I've received. I am glad I've found such an active forum.

Stan

applestar
Mod

We're all stuck in the snow -- or at least *I* am ! :wink:
But seriously, I think this is a great community of folks who are willing to share what they know... and what they don't know as well. :D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I saw a ladybug yesterday, unfortunately, it was dead in a sink of dishwater. Wonder where it came from? Why was it in my sink?
Poor thing.

I didn't do it on purpose, honest! I didn't even see it, until I found it there.
They are so scarce here, that I was truly saddened to see it.
I thought about mouth to... what? ha ha

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah Stan wait until gardening season hits. You can hear crickets arounds here... :lol:

I kid, we'll still be available. There will just be a lot more people looking for answers, so it get's a lot harder.

Plus we DO have gardens of our own :wink:

HG

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”