tomf
Super Green Thumb

Got hit by sleasy bear again.

A bear hit my garbage trailer once again and made a big mess of things. I will eventually have it in a fortified enclosed area but for now it is parked out in the open. The bear tore the back off of the trailer and dragged the stuff all over the place. Bears sure are sleazy. Last night I heard the coyotes barking out by the trailer so no doubt I will have more cr*p to clean up today.

I have found a lot of bear droppings around the place but thankfully no Mt. lion droppings.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow.... I have raccoons, possums, woodchucks, squirrels, cats, dogs, various mice, shrews, etc and birds to deal with... once there was a red fox in our yard and deer have been spotted within a few blocks, but not in our yard... I never thought about having to garden in company with bears and coyotes! Are you in the mountains?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Wow. Talk about "wild" life....that's some dangerous critters to tangle with. :shock: I certainly hope your house is fortified.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

:shock: :wink:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes I live between Mt Hood and Portland and I am surounded by miles of woods. We get lots of deer some times I think they are having a party, I have seen 8 in my yard at a time before. We also get elk come through.

jmoore

Good luck with the bears. I think you are going to need a thick steel enclosure of some sort. With a good lock. Those dudes can get into anything.

There are other options for getting rid of wildlife, esp. if you live out in the country, but the mod's have discouraged me from making that suggestion more than once.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I will put it in a kind of shed or a chain link fence that they can not get in to.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Bears are actualy getting to be an issue in COnnecticut of all places and have been in southern New York State/northern N.J. for a while now, in places you wouldn't think it. Saw one in the parking lot of where I was working in Bloomfield CT (Hartford suburbs), in an industrial park in the middle of the day. Same locale is the ONLY time I have ever seen bobcats, and three (mom with teen kits) at the same time. NOT in the woods, NOT with miles of forest around, some of the busiest industrial areas around Hartford.

We need to remember these guys have a right to be here too, but not in our garbage, especially when it's locked in a trailer. The Yellowstone bears have learned to break into cars, so I'm not surprised they learned to bust into Tom's shed. I'm with J.Moore; they can peel back a car panel and bust safety glass, tear through plywood and sheet metal. One of my Japanese gardening aquaintances in Canada had to endure a week of sleepless nights to shoot the one that was trying to kill his horse (by breaking into a well built stable of hewn timber). Once an idea is in their heads they are hard to dissuade...

Good luck Tom. This is a tough issue and I wish you the best of outcomes; hopefully with everyone going their seperate ways. Check in with your local officials about moving nuisance bears; some states do, some don't... :roll:

HG

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Double gaurd your trash. I saw a report on a bear in yellowstone that figured out how to open the "bear proof" storage buckets you buy for camping(the new supposedly un tamper proof kind). If they can get through the bear proof designed products, a simple cage should be nothing

jmoore

a0c8c wrote:If they can get through the bear proof designed products, a simple cage should be nothing
+1

Might as well put up nothing if a chainlink fence is all that's going up.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

: D I heard there was a sting operation at an internet cafe where bears were hacking people bank account information.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Indian tibes around here considered the Bear to be an equal, but one expected to respect the space of people. The tribe, women, children, whomever was in camp came out to scold the bear for his bad manners. Bears just became uncomfortable around people for the most part and didn't bother them much...

Talk to the neighbors :lol:

HG

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Well I think they are going in to hibernation now so hopefully for some time at least I should be safe.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”