applestar
Mod

oh NO! GroundHOG!

We were at the pool all day yesterday. I was lulled into a sense of complacency since I hadn't seen the groundHOG in a while. I SHOULD have known. Might have been last nights downpour -- almost every time they come, it's after a big rain: probably gets flooded out of their burrows.

Anyway, found a freshly dug deep hole under the Yucca plant next to the compost pile this morning. :x Tried sticking the compost tuning tool in the hole as far as it would go but didn't get any reaction -- don't know if it was in there or not.

After walking around in circles wondering what to do, frustrated, I dumped a very ripe, full 5 gal bucket of drowned weeds in the hole and left the stinky pile and the bucket upended over the hole. :twisted: It WAS going to be for heating up the compost for another round since the temp has come down to 105ºF from 112ºF two days ago. :roll:

So far, no sign anything came out, nor anything has dug its way back in. :|

If nothing else, this is going to feed the yucca and the crabapple growing in the same area VERY WELL. :wink: Who knows, maybe the it'll help the crabapple kick the Fire blight that's starting to plague it (I REALLY have to go borrow the pole pruner from my Dad). Hmm, flip side, it could start growing new shoots that will get winterkilled. :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

groundhog

I saw one of mine the other day far up in the mulberry tree. Most people don't know that groundhogs can climb. I never see them climb anything else, but they love mulberry, the berries, but even now after the berries are done, they love the leaves. It was pretty funny seeing him that far up, out on a thin branch, with all the twigs and leaves shaking around him.

applestar
Mod

You know, reading your post, it just occurred to me that maybe that groundHOG is actually smarter than I think -- smarter than ME! :idea:

I'm thinking that groundHOG was digging up Yucca roots! Not just burrowing under it for a get away vacation hole. :evil: No wonder it comes back time and time again to dig there! In the past I've wedged a whole coconut shell in the hole. And every time it's back, one of the signs is that the coconut shell has been dug out and flung out in front of the compost piles. :roll:

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”