Fermented

Deer and dill

Any idea if deer like/dislike or even notice dill?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nope, but strong unfamiliar smells are generally disliked. Try it and let us know...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

At an organic gardening festival years ago, I went to a lecture on "What dear eat and don't eat" the consensus was that the only thing they won't eat (at least around here) is Death Camus. From the name, you can probably figure out why.

But, I have also learned that deer will and won't eat different things in different areas. So, just because they eat the dill at my Grandmothers, doesn't necessarily mean that they will eat it at your place.

To make a long story short, give it a try and as Scott said: let us know what happens.

Fermented

I'm well aware of that. Here the deer dance in the sprinkler to the music coming from the garden shed, before they feast on most anything. I have a large reliable nursery about two miles away that has helped us somewhat. Around here areas are large and you cannot protect everything. We have found dried blood to not fail unless the rain washes it away. Foxglove also seems to repel them. Actually the blood works for many critters.

But really the food forest idea is where my question of dill came from. We have a dwarf apple tree that we want to help out. It's old, still producing some sort of apple that the deer love. I let them have the apples, keeps them out of other stuff. I don't want dill around my apple tree if it will repel the deer.

We intend to do mass plantings and will let you know what happens.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Excellent. Whatever the outcome, your information will be most welcome...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it will be interesting to discover the outcome of your gardening experiment. Be sure and let us know how the deer respond to the dill.

Rhymer-2006
Newly Registered

Deer deterrents that work for me.

New to this Forum - chanced upon same as I browsed the Internet this stifling hot day - and saw this topic and wondered if you might be interested in how I beat the odds and keep the deer at bay?.

I have a largish garden - 2 acres (Central Southern Ontario) with a fair number of flower beds and a large vegetable patch (lot smaller than it once was).

With thousands of acres of virgin bush and pasture land all around (right in the heart of rural Ontario) three years ago I found my gardens were being devastated by a number of roving white tailed deer who had decided we could supply them with delectables they could not find elsewhere. They feasted long and often and I was soon beside myself in anger and frustration. Especially so when they became so bold as to come into the garden whilst I was working in it!

After losing every Hosta (more than fifty) and many other plants - what were not eaten were trampled - we sought help. Had a friend who suggested a remedy which he had used and knew worked. His remedy consisted of installing an electric drill (old beaten up wreck, but the motor still turned) on a fence post. Connected by cable through a Motion Sensor to the house power supply. In the drill chuck, he put a long bolt which had been driven into a squared block of wood. Once in place and the chuck tightened so it could not slip, over the wood he placed an empty I kilo coffee tin.

After setting the motion sensor to work on a five second cycle, this covered the main entrance the deer used, when their motion activated the motion sensor on, the drill engaged and the ensuing racket was abominable! They would turn and flee! As would anything that came into his garden.

Now I have elderly neighbours on one side of me and I thought perhaps they would not take kindly to this racket taking place during the dark hours, when they were fast asleep, so had the idea that perhaps a cheap radio replacing the drill set-up, tuned to a modern rock station might be just as effective and less of an incursion to their sleep?

End result? I now have four such devices set up and have not seen a single deer or a footprint in my garden since the second such set up was installed. No damage to a single plant in three years! The other two set-ups were installed more as a safeguard to cover any smart white tailed deer who might think to approach from the other side!

For what it's worth? I found it a cheap and maintenance free answer to my problem, and I can sleep easier at nights, knowing my garden is guarded well.

Rhymer.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Rhymer, you should patent that and sell it! How ingenious!! :idea:

Newt

Rhymer-2006
Newly Registered

Thanks for the compliment but it really wasn't my idea Newt. I only changed the set up and equipment a little, but knowing how much damage one can see wild animals do to a garden, thought it might help others who suffered as I. Especially if as myself, you're someone who doesn't like to shoot or hurt them, for they were after all, here long before I arrived! I was the intruder and carved out my garden in their teritory. Incidentally we also get black bears on occasion that intrude and they too are scared off.
Rhymer.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”