Emerald_Tiger
Newly Registered

Bug nets, are they the way to go?

I really don't have a "garden", just a makeshift attempt of pots with peppers in a secluded area in my patio. Very little area, but it gets the job done. After a couple months in, the peppers fully bloomed and I really didn't have a lot of worries for bugs and other outside forces.

Then, as the bloom process finished and the peppers were ready to be picked, I started seeing these little tiny things, very very organism on the leafs, but not the peppers. Well, I really didn't think much of them and let them be. Probably a fatal flaw because as they appeared, the peppers gradually deteoriated and there was no clue on my behalf.

I'm still new to growing and taking care of plants, but after that experience, more and more bugs started to appear. So, with all these encounters, I was thinking about putting up some bug nets over the plants, yes, there will be less sun-light to seep in, but the bugs are a nuisances.

I don't want to venture out and use chemicals to take them out, so I was wondering how else to take care of this problem. Another thing too, there is a huge bee exposure around my area and I see them around. I understand they pollinate and what not, so I don't really care when they're around.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not sure exactly what you mean by bug nets. I cage my tomato plants in with deer/ bird netting, to keep big critters out. People do use floating row cover to keep insects off. It's not net, it's woven, so no insects can get through. It is helpful, and I may do it next year to keep root borers out of my zucchini. But it's a mixed blessing because no insects can get in, including the lovely bees you mentioned and other pollinators. So stuff grown inside row covers would need to be hand pollinated.

I have an organic insect repellant I make: Put garlic, onions, cayenne pepper, black pepper, tomato leaves, and any strong aromatic herbs you have on hand (cinnamon, mint, tarragon, tansy, yarrow, etc) in the blender. Add water and a few drops of dish soap (not detergent) and some salad oil (helps it stick to the plants), blend up. Let it sit for awhile and then strain well. Spray it on leaves, including underside. Works pretty well for me, but has to be redone after you've had a couple rains.

Emerald_Tiger
Newly Registered

Hmm that's an interesting concoction you have there. :shock: yeah, the whole bee pollination is a problem, but I'll think of something. Then you say there are woven nets eh.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”