tomf
Super Green Thumb

Saw a Condor

I saw an condor the other day, wow they have about a 6 foot wingspan and are some thing to see.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Must have been some carrion nearby... :shock:

webmaster
Site Admin

That's a rare treat. Aren't those endangered? I saw a California Condor as a kid and thought it was as huge as a dinosaur.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

I needed to refresh my memory of this animal... Here's an informative link I found.

https://www.npca.org/wildlife_protection/wildlife_facts/condor.html

If I remember correctly, I think back in 1960's they were victims of DDT and since they mate for life, only every other year with 1 egg, it's difficult for them to make a comeback on their own. I do know California had breeding programs to release back into the wild.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The bird was on my road and I came up on it to about 30 feet before it took off. The sound it's wings made was low and slow. It had a some what redish head.
Interesting link vintagejuls, thanks.

sweet thunder

If it was only a 6 ft. wingspan it could have been a turkey vulture.
[url=https://cacondorconservation.org/content/did-you-see-a-california-condor-let-us-know/]This website[/url] offers some tips on telling them apart. They also want to know if you did see a condor, to help them track their recovery.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You may be right I looked up the differences and the range they live in. I can not tell by memory as it was so fast that I saw it but the range is right for a Turkey Vulture, they are quite large also. Next time I see it I will know just what to look for.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”