tomf
Super Green Thumb

Animal and Bear problems

I have a trailer that I keep garbage in until I take it to the dump. A day ago a bear got into it and dragged a bunch of trash out and down some of the trails, it made a mess of things. The trailer has four foot walls but this did not stop it from getting in to it. I have a chunk of chain link fence and I am going to put it over the top and cable it to the frame of the trailer to keep the bears out.
Bears can be such sleazy animals.

Last year the bears ate more of my fruit than I did and broke some trees, the trees are coming back but the bears did a lot of damage. There were 2 of them a cub and it's mom.

I will be putting electric wire around my berry and vegetable garden this summer. I have a deer fence with a rabbit fence on the bottom now. The berry garden has a bird net suspended by cables and 8 feet high above it to keep the birds out. The combined garden is about 300 feet around it. I just want a few spots for me and the animals can do what they will on the rest of the property.
What have any of you done to keep bears away from things you do not want them in and how to keep them off of my fruit trees?

Kary
Newly Registered

Do you know what type of bears? Although I have lived in an area with black bears, I hesitate to give advice for what might be grizzlies. That's really scary.

The one thing I would suggest is contacting local park authorities about how to best bear-proof your garbage - they might even sell the bins - and any other advice they might have. Good luck!

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Sounds like you might have a HUGE electric bill! :shock:

Probably best to contact local Fish and Game authorities for advice on how to coexist with the local wildlife... :roll:

Good luck to ya! :wink:

GRDrip

I put in a driveway and I haven't seen a bear since. I don't think they like the scent of crushed gravel.

My wife argues that we don't have bears here in Indiana.

All kidding aside, I feel for you. We have raccoon problems. I haven't found anything that works except a hollow point 22. Thankfully, coons can't rip my legs off or outrun me.

Definitely talk to a conservation officer (or the like). They'll figure something out.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

No grizzlies in Oregon ... yet. They have to be black bear. :)

Your trailer was open on the top? Black bears are great climbers. Climb a tree in an effort to get away from one, and when you get to the top, it'll be there waiting for you. ;)

A couple of good dogs might keep the bear away from your fruit trees. Choose the breed with care. Any of the large, mountain guard breeds would be good, but they'll need to be trained from puppyhood. Komondorok, Kuvaz, Great Pyranees, etc.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

a bear got into my boss's orchard in vermont, ate as many apples as it could (while breaking branches to get them), threw them up, and then started over again, and again. they found an absurd number of piles of regurgitated apples...they don't go for the 'daintiest' prize, that's for sure.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes they are black bears, I am putting a cover on the trailer today and locking it down with cable. I am still thinking about what to do to keep them out of my trees. Thanks all.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”