Decado
Green Thumb

Rabbit Den In Garden

So I was going around weeding my gardens this past weekend and I noticed my dog sniffing around a large group of Lilies of the Valley, I went over there and he had his nose in a rabbit den with baby rabbits in it. I am concerned though that when I was digging up the area around the little garden (at the base of a tree) and putting mulch down the day before that I may have scared off the mother, or the fact that my dog got his scent all around the hole as well could have scared her off as well because I haven't seen an adult rabbit around our yard at all in the past few days or nights. Is it possible that the mother could have been scared off? And if so what should I do about it?

GRDrip

Chances are that the if the nest is near your house that the mama was already use to you being around. You and your dog's scent would already be on everything. This rabbit would probably not go near the nest when danger is in the area. I would guess that everything is fine, but if the mama is not around it is probably not because of you (coyote, car, another dog?). Sad as it is, the only thing you can do is leave the nest alone and let nature take it course.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

(Curmudgeon hat on)

Be sure your veggies are securely fenced from little and large bunnies. There are recommendations elsewhere here at THG from people who have had success vs. rabbit predation on the specifics of fencing.

But if *you* want to harvest the plants for your own table, you will surely need to protect them from Momma & Baby Bunnies.

(Curmudgeon hat off)

Be glad your dog gave you the heads-up! :) Good dog! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Doe rabbits only feed their young once or twice every 24 hours. Also, they do not stay in the nest with their offspring, the way dogs and cats do. It's a method of protecting herself and her babies.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”