applestar
Mod

What DON'T Rabbits/GroundHOGs eat?

I've spotted a small space -- approx 4' semicircle each -- OUTSIDE the veg garden fence where I could potentially plant something. :cool: :D

Is there anything marauding rabbits and groundHOGs don't eat that I could plant there?

Since the spaces are on the NE side of the garden, the plants
(1) could use the garden fence as trellis
(2) will be in part sun/shade
(3) can be tall

Thanks for your suggestions/ideas! :wink:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it's tall, i bet they won't eat castor 'bean'.

perhaps something exceedingly thorny?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

what doesn't ground hog eat

My big fat groundhog seems to leave herbs and peppers alone! :)

applestar
Mod

Herbs... thorny.... Both good suggestions. Maybe tougher herbs like sage and rosemary.... Peppers -- are they HOT peppers? I've heard groundHOGS eat sweet peppers. I HAVE been wanting to grow some jalepeno's.... Hmmm... 8)

magrandma
Newly Registered

I need some plant ideas when it comes to what rabbits WON'T eat. It seems like every plant I put out in my back yard, they distroy. I have used rabbit sprays, powders, etc. and they just keep coming back. So far they won't touch my false sunflower and my cleomie.
Do what you like, like what you do!

applestar
Mod

They made nests -- or tried to -- in my clumps of yarrow. So they're NOT eating them, but they ARE digging them up! :roll: My white yarrow clump has a narrow trail and a rabbit hole -- who KNOWS what the doe did to the roots. And my nice red yarrow clump in the rock garden -- I don't THINK she dug in there as the whole area is mulched with small and medium sized rocks -- has a 12" round flat spot in the middle -- all trampled down. :x '

I wouldn't eat cleome either -- the spicy fragrance and those thorns!
They're not eating the mint patch... and they're not eating ENOUGH dandelion! :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

rabbits/ groundhogs

Ultimately if you want to grow veggies and you have rabbits and/or groundhogs (not to mention raccoons, possums, squirrels, deer... there are quite a few animals that have adapted to living in suburbia and eating gardens we plant for them :? ), they need to be "caged" (the plants, not the animals). IMO the easiest way to do that is with deer netting. It's very thin and light, you can get it in big rolls at any garden center (sometimes called bird netting). I just put stakes all around a patch (or wire hoops for smaller crops like strawberry) and then cover the whole thing with netting. I put it around all sides and then bring it together over the top and twist tie it and and bury it into the ground and stake or weight it down. The netting is reusable if you are careful not to get it too tangled up or too much stuff growing through it. It means to get to your veggies you have to open the cage up. But it keeps all the critters out. Being thin and black, it's not too obnoxious looking in the landscape.

diana4tupperware
Newly Registered

reply to WHAT GROUNDHOGS WON'T EAT??

I've been feeding my backyard groundhogs bananas, watermelon, and cantalope and they LOVE those foods!

But they haven't touched the POTATOES I threw outside a few days ago!!

Hope this helps. :D

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”