opp2

tulips nibbled

Hello Everyone, Happy Spring!

I didn't get out to the garden in time with the plant skidd and the bunny got two sets of tulip shoots. about 1 inch each. Will they still finish growing does anyone know?

My daughter and I planted 3 groupings in 2007 and then 5 more groupings last fall. She's been very excited to see them coming up, but I want to be able to tell her if the chewed ones will come or not.

thanks..

Nikki

GardenRetreat
Newly Registered

I am not an expert but I have found that if the buds remain they will bloom.

Problem is they may not bloom next year.. the green leaves is what helps them to regenerate for next year.. if rabbit has nibbled them all down they probably will not come back

continue to spray rabbit repellant on leaves to keep rabbits away

tulips unlike daffodils get weaker each year.. many people not me I do not have the time.. dig up the bulbs and replant in the fall

opp2

Thanks for that. Yes they did grow. I noticed though, my daughter and I planted 3 clumps in 2007 and 5 more in 2008. So one would hope to have 8 clumps this spring. Well, we have 5 clumps and in the area where one from 2007 bloomed in 08 I have three anemic looking shoots, no buds nothing. So of the original 3 I have one group going to bloom. From the 2008 planting only 3 of five groups came up... kind of sucks really...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

GR is right; you should be fine...

HG

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”