Redwing
Newly Registered

Which Crab Apple for Birds?

Hello everyone, just joined the forum. I'm a very keen birdwatcher and I'd like to plant a crab apple mainly to attract birds so I'd like one that holds its fruit well into the winter and beyond. Can you people suggest some varieties? Thanks.

Redwing

Redwing
Newly Registered

Well seeing as no one had any suggestions I went ahead and got 'Red Sentinel' after doing some research, planted it and now just waiting for it to grow.

applestar
Mod

Sorry, I didn't see your post. I couldn't've helped anyway. The one I have was a "volunteer" -- planted by the birds themselves. It has yellow fruits about 1/2~3/4" -- not very impressive, but the bird seem to like them, it flowers early and, to my delight, at the same time as my eating apple Enterprise so I never had to plant a pollinator for it. :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

'Red Sentinel' is a good one for tight areas and espalier, 'Red Jade' is my favorite small garden tree, and some of the Round table minatures are cute...

'Robinson' is very pretty and very red, 'Sugar Tyme' is a white flower and the most prolific and as a Connecticut boy I have to recommend 'Donald Wyman', a pink with good bird fruit...

but you did fine without us... :oops:

HG

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”