sealrescueuk
Newly Registered

Bat boxes / lime trees

I have been advised by local Wildlife centre to erect bat boxes in my garden on 2 lime trees that I currently Have. I certainly have pipistrelle bats and 1 lesser horsehoe that flutter around between my garden and neighbouring one - JUST NEED TO GET BAT BOXES NOW! Apparently Ladybird boxes can be erected too - I never knew such a ting existed :lol:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Well hi there Sealrescueuk!
I found a couple of websites for you that have plans for making your own bat boxes and ladybird (otherwise known as ladybug) boxes.

Ladybird: www.butterflywebsite.com/articles/MQuinn/MQuinn1.htm

Bat: www.tvwc.org/index.htm click under updates: building nest box for microbats.
and
www.scmg-rspb.org.uk/batbox.htm

Of course there are all kinds of places on line to buy them already made too.
Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions - that's what it's all about! :wink:

VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I build batboxes (just gave one as a birthday gift), but micro bats are beyond my expertise, and I expect that the uk site would give you your best info...nice job Val...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks Scott :wink:
VAL

sealrescueuk
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice. A friend also recommended alana ecologys website, and not only have I found bat boxes, they do hedgehog and dormice boxes too.

I have hedgehogs most years and have taken some through hibernation so a box would be ideal to place in the garden under one of my many spireas

I was surprised to see dormice boxes which is first on the priority list as I have this protected critter under my step near my honeysuckle.and acer tree....

Better get on with planting out the rest of the garden and see what other furry creatures pay me a visit :lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

SR, my knowledge of our local species (and I suspect this applies to many bats that live near people) is that they prefer boxes on the house, as that is where they look for roosts anyway, so you may want to look at putting this up under the eaves...

Scott

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”