betrlife4me
Newly Registered

My friend was bitten by a Calosoma scrutator

I know this is a garden site but thought I would try asking the following.
My friend was bitten by a Calosoma scrutator. Do you know if they can make you sick?
I have looked every where on the net. I can find a lot of things about it but nothing about if you get bitten by one.
It left a big red spot and is very tender. She hasn't felt good every since then. It bit her on the stomach around the waist line. She was sick to her stomach for about 2 days and is still having pain from it. I think she said its draining now.
Its been over a week since this happen. I have the bug in a jar. It looks just like the picture of the one on "Calosoma scrutator, friend or foe".
Due to being short of money, she can't go to her Doctor and its been like I said about a week.
I can't find a thing about being bitten by one. I found this site and thought I would try posting about it. Maybe someone could tell me.
I am sorry if I shouldn't have posted it on here but for her I am willing to try.
Thank you.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

From https://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/fiery_searcher.htm

"Firey Searchers [common name for Calosoma scrutator -- K.] will bite if handled, but will not do any real damage."

Your friend should keep the wound clean, so that it doesn't get infected. If signs of infection appear, she should see a health care professional. If the pain and other symptoms worsen, she should also see a health care professional a.s.a.p., as the potential for an allergic reaction always exists.

HTH. :)

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”