Diane
Green Thumb

skunk

My dog just came in from my yard with my son after lots of barking. The smell of skunk is filling the whole house.
I live in the city. Last year there was a turkey in my yard. I've seen racoons and I wouldn't be surprised to see a deer some day!!!
Well anyway, does anyone have ideas about getting the smell off of my dog and out of my house?

Striferitus
Cool Member

canned tomato sauce. that works. >.> not jokeing

strife

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

There is some information in this article from Oregon State University:

https://www.extension.org/faq/1032

Your best bet would be to call your veterinarian as soon as you can. Vets often keep a supply of a commercial skunk odor neutralizer available, because they sometimes have to treat bites and other injuries on pets that have been sprayed by skunks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tomato juice just covers up the odor. The hydrogen peroxide and baking soda solution in Kisal's article has science behind it and I've seen it recommended a bunch of places.

For remaining odors in your house, Febreze and put down baking soda on carpets and furniture and and then vacuum it up.

applestar
Mod

:eek: Diane, hope you've found a good solution and things are on their way to being better. :|

Diane
Green Thumb

Thank you all. We had some solution left from the last time my dog got sprayed last year.
My son didn't let our dog get past the kitchen. You'd never know it from the odor throughout the house last night.
It is better now after washing the floor and reversing the fans.
My yard still smelled bad though. It was very windy today so that too should be better tomorrow. I hope. :roll: :lol:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

One day, while working at our local wildlife rehab & rescue center, I needed to use the restroom. Upon arriving at my destination, I found a box of 6 adorable little baby skunks, each about the size of an orange, sitting on the closed lid of the toilet. So, I picked up the box to move it to the floor, intending to replace it when I was finished. Unfortunately, when still about 2 inches above the floor, the box slipped out of my hands and landed with a slight jolt. I immediately learned that baby skunks come with fully equipped and operational defense mechanisms! I reeked for the rest of the day. :lol:

Diane
Green Thumb

Oh nooo! :eek:
How did you get rid of the odor?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I honestly don't remember doing anything special about it. I probably just showered a few times, and ignored it until it eventually wore off. I lived alone and worked with wild animals after all, so it wasn't like I had to be around the public or in an office with co-workers. I suppose my odor might have offended somebody while grocery shopping or something, but nobody ever said anything ... except when I went back upstairs after using the restroom that day. Everybody knew immediately that I had had a run in with the baby skunks in the downstairs bathroom. They just thought it was funny. :lol:

applestar
Mod

Awww. HOW ADORABLE!!! :-() :()
How did it go in Bambi? I think it was Thumper saying, "C'mon, Flower, make your ??? face, make the ???-iest face you got." "MMNNNNN!" pphsssSSST! "I did it!" "You did it!" :lol:

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'd defintaley go to the vet after a dog gets sprayed, alot of dogs will have allergic reactions to skunks. They can not only get rid of the smell, but check out hte dog to make sure they're fine. The skunk's spray can be bad for a dog's eyes.

Diane
Green Thumb

His eyes look fine and he wasn't hurt in any way. (The skunk is fine also.) He's already on allergy pills. We have quite the sensitive Doberman. :roll:

My son, it's his dog, kids that if he looks sad my DH will take him to the vet and then hand my son the bill.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”